Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: It's THAT time of the year again!

The answers I received to my posting were more or less as expected. Even the younger members of the forum appear to be on the same wavelength as me. I have been out of secondary and tertiary education for five years and then I wasn’t a teacher. I found the GCSE Physics papers from which I quoted, on a fly tipped rubbish dump at the back of my house. Titter ye not! No! No!
So I’m afraid I can’t answer if you satisfied the examiners’ mindset Frank. Actually it’s been an interesting few weeks on the subject of the veracity of exams. The actress Imogen Stubbs has found out that renowned Shakespearean theatre directors including her own husband Trevor Nunn, can’t get one of the new A-level A* grades in English Literature Shakespearean analysis! The best they could manage was a B! I myself am very sceptical about exams anyway.

Re: It's THAT time of the year again!

There is a belief inside education circles here in the states that curriculum should be unified. It is vital, in their minds that a student in Wasilla, AK be able to move to Washington DC and not be either ahead or behind. For some unknown (ok I do know) reason, they see education as the summation of facts and experiences and that to be fair each student must be presented with the same set of facts and experiences. UGH!

The first half is correct. It is the second half that is wrong and devilishly wrong. It is the variances in the educational processes that make the world better. When we unify our curriculum, we quite often stifle what could happen with just a little bit of looseness.