Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Online Sensors

So Brad, does that mean you think JB's "quibble" to be of minor concern? Just so long as we know.

I guess I am saying that his quibble is right on point.

At the same time, the quibble is the problem.

I was listening to Brian Brushwood (of Scamschool) talking about magic. He said "if you want to hide something put it in a book!" What he meant was, all the techniques magicians use to perform can be found in the literature if you look for it, but most people don't look for it.

That they put it down in writing in a way made it invisible. This isn't true of course. I am just waxing philosophical, which means I am accomplishing nothing more than trying to post something here that is relevant.

On the issue brought up by the WUWT blog post about an anomalously cold Feb 1936 USA temperature figure being rejected by CRU, I can think of an example of something like that with historical UK temperatures.

In 19th Century books the lowest temperature seen in London, England was said to be -38 deg F or -38.9 deg C, just above the freezing point of mercury, on January 25th 1795 (which would be during the 'Dalton Minimum' period of the Little Ice Age). The particular book I own which gives this figure is "Adcock's Engineer's Pocket-Book for the year 1860 (leap year)". This temperature is quite a bit lower than the current official UK record low temperature of -27.2°C at Braemar (January 1982) and Altnaharra (December 1995), and seems to have just been thrown away.

Another temperature figure given in the Adcock book is a contemporary estimate of the temperature of outer space by the scientist Fourier, which is -58 deg F. So when you hear about the greenhouse effect being 'discovered' in the 19th Century by the likes of Arrhenius, it may be based on completely different ideas about how hot outer space was.