Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: nvCJD

As long as you deem well matched to mean managers of the supply constantly biting their nails hoping that no disasters happen. They would prefer the number to be 5-6 days instead of 3.

I'm surprised you're having to use anecdotal information about the number of days of blood supply available in the USA, Brad. After a bit of Googling I found this webpage by some organisation called "America's Blood Centers" which supplies half of the USA's volunteer donor blood.

link

It looks like there could be some US blood centres that have only 1 day supply or less, and a few more that have only 2 days supply. The colour coding system used for the supply situation at the blood centres, which specifies green for 3 days or more supply, suggests that 3 days supply is regarded as acceptable.

If there was a disaster, I would imagine it wouldn't be difficult to get a lot of blood donors to come forward at short notice.

Silly me, didn't think they would be advertising. Yet the first one on the list (Ohio) shows almost no O- blood. O- is relatively rare, but it is on the edge of not being there. On the same page of query, I saw 3 postings for "critical levels" dated today.

It is nice to know that my blood type seems to be relatively available though. I guess I shouldn't fret too much.