Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bolivia gives equal rights to Nature

****! And I considered humans part of nature, I guess we are an alien species trying to survive in a foreign planet.
So locusts are ok, fire ants are ok, pine beetle is ok, the list is endless.

Has the Earth even noticed humanity exists?

If Earth were a 50 year old person, modern man would have been around for only 1 hour of it's life and weigh about 1/135 millionth of it's bodyweight.

For every one pound of humanity there are 135 million pounds of Earth and that does not include the mass of all of the worms and termites!!!.

Modern man has been around for about 1/450,000th of Earth's life.

Earth: Mass = 6 x 10 to the 24th kg

13.2 x 10 to the 24th lbs

6.5 million people x 150 lbs/person = 975 billion pounds.

975,000,000,000 = 9.75 x 10 to the 11th pounds.

Difference
13.2 is 1.35 times bigger than 9.75.
1.35 x 10 the the 13th = 1/135,000,000,000( 1 per 135 million).

Earth is about 4.5 billion years old and modern mankind is about 10,000 years old.

Modern man has been around for about 1/450,000th of Earth's life.

That is about 1 hour out of the life of a 50 year old person.

You know what?

I read somewhere that in the past, if you dared to say that the earth was not the belly button of the universe and EVERYTHING else rotated around it, making US the actual center of the universe, you were tortured, killed or something very unpleasant would happen to you (E pur si muove!).

We are receding (or should I say reseeding) a little in our modern times. The ego of humankind is immense and along with its ignorance and the speed and access to masses with communication (i.e. internet)somebody(ies) is(are) having a nice little power trip and making a whole lot of money.

To think that we actually have the power to effect such changes would make us a little less than demi-gods.

However, something good has come from all these lies and scams: some people are actually starting to reduce their waste footprint.

In reply to Disputin, it looks like you're interpreting 'The Law of Mother Earth' as being some sort of ultimate victory for animal rights campaigners. I suppose that in the hands of a bunch of lawyers it might well turn out that way, but I was interpreting 'Mother Earth' as being 'Pachamama', an earth deity believed in by the indigenous people of the Andes region of South America, who makes the soil fertile and causes earthquakes.

Pachamama

About half the population of Bolivia is made up of indigenous 'Indian' people, and they are strongly represented in the current government led by Evo Morales. Technically speaking Bolivia is a Christian country following the Spanish conquest, but in practice Christianity has just been slapped on top of an underlying Pagan or pantheist belief system held by the indigenous people.

Pagans are less concerned about killing animals than the average person in a Western country, so I wouldn't see this as being some sort of victory for 'animal rights'. As an example of what I'm talking about, llamas are regularly sacrificed to Pachamama, and after a bit of Googling it's easy to find a few example photos:

This one (a bit gruesome) is a llama that has been sacrificed at a silver mine, presumably to improve the silver yield:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/_leonid/2636706646/

This one is of a sacrificial llama being led on to a football (soccer) pitch, presumably to help win a football match:

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/3087700