Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Forum: Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Enginasters--

An important update - that experiment was supposed to start this month (October), but as I was half expecting, the Green lobby has found a way of messing it up. The experiment has been postponed for six months to give an opportunity for Green groups to voice their opposition.

This post from the anti-geoengineering Green blog, "Hands Off Mother Earth" gives details:

link1

It looks like the Greenies want a ban on all geoengineering field experiments until there is an international agreement on the issue, and presumably the agreement they have in mind is one where all geoengineering experiments are formally banned. One of their people in the EU called Kriton Arsenis has pushed a resolution through on the issue.

The postponement follows a campaign by several dozen international Green NGOs who wrote a letter to our old friend Chris Huhne about a week ago demanding that the experiment should be cancelled:

link2

A lot of AGW sceptics are strongly opposed to geo-engineering, but as I've said before in this forum I'm neutral towards it and even slightly in favour of it, at least at the R & D stage, because it has the useful effect of making the Greenies look even more incoherent. The real purpose of AGW to the Greenies is to promote renewable energy - if they seriously believed AGW was a catastrophe they would not object to things like nuclear power or geoengineering research.

Email