Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Enquiry

His many readers in Australia have been wondering the same. I trust he is getting back to good health.

My 7 & 9 y/o girls (who I am turning into avid readers and free thinkers) have been wondering the same for some time now. "Is the gentleman of the clown page better now?" "Has he written anything yet?"

Was that speculation about the size of his Australian audience or did you actually have some way of gauging local interest in JB's blog?
I'm suddenly wondering if there's an aussie John Brignell Fan Club that's gone unnoticed by me all this time.

My SiteDelta plugin for Firefox has been configured since May to alert me the day that Number of The Month changes.
I think we're all thinking that the silence has been ominous.

Firstly I hope we see some numerical murmurings from JB soon. Secondly I hope he does NOT apologise for the delay as would be his usual style. :) We'd be happy to hear anything.

" We'd be happy to hear anything."

Exactly.

With reference to the Sorites paradox and my own circle of contacts I can only attempt to define "many" in limited terms. I do know that JB is read by my local federal member of Parliament - Dr Dennis Jensen - and his previous parliamentary secretary has forwarded links from these pages in the past to a relatively substantial email list of over 200 people. I am also aware that this site is read by a number of professionals within the oil and gas engineering industry in WA (myself included) and I might also presume that a small percentage of these people would pass on the always interesting titbits. I would also not presume that this state has the only readers. As for a JB fan club I'm afraid I cant help you there. You must be pretty well connected if your awareness stretches to fan clubs dotted around the place. Hope this satisfies your curiosity.

Small world.

I gave Dennis a spare copy of "Sorry, Wrong Number". It was serendipitously "spare" after I'd been sent two copies in error.

Generally, I pass on my "good reads" to worthy recipients. Except for the books that I want to keep for future reference.

Nice to hear from yet another local. I have both books (Sorry, Epidemiologists)and they have done the rounds of "many" of my friends as well as a few staff at Fremantle Hospital. Both well appreciated and have done much to change the way people think.

Australian traffic

For anybody who needs to know the amount of Australian traffic to NumberWatch, there are a few websites that provide that sort of information. Here is one:

link

At the time of writing, the top five countries are:

For page views: 1 UK (37.1%), 2 USA (19.8%), 3 Canada (9.5%), 4 Australia (8.4%), 5 Germany (4.5%), Other (20.5%)

For users: 1 UK (27.5%), 2 USA (24.3%), 3 Australia (11.3%), 4 Canada (7.1%), 5 Germany (6.0%), Other (23.6%)

There seem to be two countries where NumberWatch is in the most popular 100,000 websites for that country, the UK (86,142) and Australia (89,397).

This forum isn't part of the numberwatch domain, but I would assume the country by origin traffic is similar.

Could one of the local guys give the Professor a call?

Department of Electronics & Computer Science,
University of Southampton,
Highfield, Southampton SO17 1BJ

Home telephone: 01747 861114

Email: jeb@numberwatch.co.uk

I have popped in to see John at home in the past. He doesn't live all that near Southampton, but they may forward mail for him. I was passing his way a couple of months ago, but didn't call in as I don't think he's feeling right well and I don't wish to intrude uninvited. I feel our good wishes here are probably sufficient. Let him have his privacy.

Thanks for all the concern. It is very touching. The new illness I so nonchalantly announced on this forum turned out to involve two weeks of crying out in pain day and night, followed by a period of coming down from the codeine. However, the computer it was that died. The crash was catastrophic. The main disc is dodgy and the back-up drive is kaput. I now have a new machine of high specification, but I have not yet been able to retrieve past e-mails and some other data. I still have the html files for the web site but I have lost the obsolete FrontPage program on which I relied to compile the site and connect to the hosting service. Any suggestions welcome.
I would like to thank all those who have communicated and especially the three who made donations even in the absence of service. The generosity was most welcome at this time of year when the bills for services tend to come in, though the cost of new hardware is a new blow.
I had almost completed a couple of essays: one called “Isn’t it annoying when the inevitable happens” and the other “The unbalance sheet”. You might imagine how frustrating it is that I cannot post them.
I would also like to thank those who have kept the forum going. I am impressed by the range of knowledge and experience shown and the wisdom of saying nothing when you have nothing to say. How I loathe those forums with threads hundreds of entries long, almost all of them rubbish, so that it is difficult to pick out the genuine contributions. I also appreciate the generosity of those who are willing to help others who have difficulty with the concepts.
This is only day one with the new hardware. I now have to turn my attention to restoring connections, including the @numberwatch e-mail. Then I have to deal with the unconscionable backlog of book deliveries and the now overdue accounts, which I am not very good at.