Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Forum: Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The next Green scam

I thought I'd update this thread as there is now a bit more information on what the next Green scam is likely to be. Whatever the next scam is, it should be revealed at the Rio+20 Earth Summit to be held in June 2012 and the Guardian published some leaks about the summit's agenda last week.

link

"Countries will be asked this summer to sign up for 10 new sustainable development goals for the planet and promise to build green economies at the first earth summit in 20 years.

According to a leak of the draft agenda document seen by the Guardian, they will also be asked to negotiate a new agreement to protect oceans, approve an annual state of the planet report, set up a major world agency for the environment, and appoint a global "ombudsperson", or high commissioner, for future generations."

My tip that they might go for a re-branded version of population control isn't specifically mentioned, though it could be one of the 10 new sustainable development goals talked about above. From reading the above extract, I'd say that out of the five topics identified in the original post in this thread, 'the oceans' looks increasingly like it could be the focus of the next scam.

One encouraging sign with this new Rio summit is that there appears to be far less interest in it compared with the 1992 event. The 1992 summit was, and probably still is, the world's largest ever political gathering with 190 heads of state or government attending. By contrast, the 2012 summit had to have its original date moved so as not to clash with the Queen's Diamond Jubilee due to worries about Commonwealth leaders using the jubilee as an excuse not to turn up at the summit. Despite the date change, David Cameron is apparently still not going.

Email  
Re: The next Green scam - by DaveE - Jan 18, 2012 2:53pm
Re: The next Green scam - by JMW - Apr 26, 2012 2:14pm
Re: The next Green scam - by Dave Gardner - Jun 20, 2012 5:08pm
Re: The next Green scam - by JMW - Jul 11, 2012 11:35am
Re: The next Green scam - by brad.tittle - Jul 16, 2012 5:49pm
Re: The next Green scam - by JMW - Aug 13, 2012 11:59pm