Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: experienced Malaria deaths hypes

Once it is writ to paper it becomes 'real'.

One of the problems with the "healthcare" debate is that healthcare is a matter of what is medically necessary. How is medically necessary defined. Here in the USA, medically necessary is practically defined as "a prescription from a doctor". In "social" healthcare states you offset this issue by limiting the resources available to provide the service. I get a prescription for massages, now I get to stand in line for a massage. Here the insurance company is "expected" to cover medically necessary activities. Massages, Chiropractic, etc are covered by many. All you have to do is get a scrip.

Healthcare has two sides. People needing healthcare and people providing healthcare services. That piece of paper with the death rate for a country is little more than a scrip begging for money...

Re: experienced Malaria deaths hypes

- That's a very intelligent quote you open with
- almost every news story these days originates from a left or right wing PR agency (activist,union, SIG company, gov etc.) And they know that geting their message down on paper is the first step to changing what is truth.

- But maybe your end message has gone over my head
I can see that Ghana's health stats are analogous to your prescription. And we might hype your own complaints to get a bigger treatment package ..cos I really need that spa treatment & massage etc.
But surely they really do need that malaria medicine more than us ? and wouldn't that lead to objective scientists fudging the figures..even if the aid system is monumentally inefficient, cos the underlying problem is cultural attitudes and it's a bit much to come in from outside & start changing a countries culture ... However that's what missionaries do I suppose