Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
View Entire Thread
Re: Number of the Month for July

I duly apologise for putting someone else's words in your mouth.

Sorry, Brad, no mercy. The "Nuremburg Defence" didn't even work at Nuremburg.
As for being beaten with virtual sticks, I'd find it marginally more acceptable were they beaten with real ones, or preferably thrashed with barbed wire weighted with metal plate. For tax officials, something less lenient is called for, but my stomach rebels at the task of thinking up something suitable.
Personally, I look froward to the day when tax officials are seen, flatulent with terror, fleeing down the street barely ahead of a mob with pitchforks and flaring torches, lit by the glare of blazing government offices.
Oh well, one can dream.

Our Bending author has added to the number of the month a list of some of the subjects now available at University.

Absent from the list appears to be "The Eurovision Song Contest". Anyone who watched this comedy turn this year will have seen the BEEB included someone with a Doctorate in Eurovision Song Contests as a commentator. He didn't seem to have much to add that was funny or enlightening.
Also absent is "Alternative Science"; the scientific equivalent to alternative medicine where quack nostrums are foisted on the world e.g. AGW/Abrupt Climate change etc

What is included is "Play leadership". This, I presume, was Cameron's major.

Cheer up,Brignell,these courses are "still available". The kids seem to be getting wise.

I second Hugh's comments and think they are worth expanding on in two directions.

Firstly, if you want to take up science it is harder than ever to reach the cutting edge. Arguably at the moment, that cutting edge is also getting further away faster than you can learn your way towards it. Every new Nobel-worthy discovery of some fundamental, mechanistic thing, renders the work of 49 other labs just so much stamp-collecting, that can be sneered at and then de-funded.

There is no longer the near-assurance that scientists had in our bending author's day, of there being plenty of low-hanging fruit still around that someone else wasn't going to get to first. That's not to diminish the achievement. So why study science when your chances of making a contribution to it will be no greater once you have finished your degree than before you started it?

Secondly, the fact that people have the time and money to study trivia is evidence of our society's great wealth at present. Or its terminal decadence, if you prefer.