Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Decreasing Life Spans

The first comment on this article seems to get it it. The buckets are changing size.

This video is entertaining. At least for people on this page. I suspect many of you are already familiar with Briggs though.

Re: Decreasing Life Spans

Thanks for that, a very interesting presentation and especially helpful the 2.5m comments.
Seems the EPA can have a scapegoat after all.... CARB.

Re: Decreasing Life Spans

It looks to me like the original first comment about the NYT article has now vanished. It may have been deleted. From what I can vaguely remember of the comment (when this thread was first posted) it picked up on the following paragraph in the article:

"Researchers said they were baffled by the magnitude of the drop. Some cautioned that the results could be overstated because Americans without a high school diploma — about 12 percent of the population, down from about 22 percent in 1990, according to the Census Bureau — were a shrinking group that was now more likely to be disadvantaged in ways besides education, compared with past generations."

So the proportion of Americans without a high school diploma has nearly halved from about twenty years ago, compromising to a significant extent the idea that this is a like-for-like comparison.