Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Number Watch, an honourable mention at WUWT

I think JEB did better than just getting an honourable mention in the link you've provided J. A full WUWT blog post was put up which reproduced the "A doleful anniversary" article from last month's NumberWatch together with the "Power mad!" NumberWatch article from ten years ago:

link1

The issue which is giving rise to the potential blackout scare is the possible closure of quite a few old UK coal-fired power stations beginning this year. I remember reading last year that the Kingsnorth 1940 MW power station might actually be closed down this month, March 2013. The root cause of the issue is that the Blair government, always keen to grandstand on environmental matters, signed up to something called the Large Combustion Plant Directive (LPCD) back in 2001 which required coal-fired power stations in the EU to be retrofitted with equipment to reduce emissions connected with acid rain, or otherwise run the power stations for only a limited number of hours if they declined to carry out of the expensive retrofitting.

The "EU Fresh Start" group of Conservative MPs is advocating re-negotiation of the LCPD directive to give the UK an exemption or partial exemption from having to shut the old power stations down. They're also advocating a re-negotiation of the Renewables Directive where grandstanding Tony Blair signed the UK up to the most onerous renewable energy target in the EU by 2020. One problem with this is that David Cameron only wants to re-negotiate the EU directives after the 2015 General Election.

link2

Britain's most famous historical image problem with foreign countries has I think been the perception that we are "Perfidious Albion". It makes me wonder whether we got this two-faced image from grandstanding leaders in centuries past signing up to daft agreements which later on we had to drop out of when somebody bothered to work out the full consequences.

To give another viewpoint on the potential blackout situation, this is one from the cabal of strongly Green-leaning MPs who the rest of the House of Commons seem to delegate any understanding of energy policy to, a Labour MP called Alan Whitehead:

link3

Whitehead seems to think we just to need to import electricity via new interconnecters with countries like Norway, Ireland, Belgium, and Iceland, and use smart grid technology, and we'll be OK.