Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
EAT your breakfast folks

Eat your wheaties

Or you might die a little earlier.

Jenny McCarthy is all the rage in the Skeptic World right now. She got a gig at the View.

I do despise the woman's positions on vaccines. I don't think she is the real problem though. The real problem is science like this. How in the hell do you control for the most important connection between not eating breakfast and early heart problems. AKA STRESS.

There are supposed to be elderly scholars overseeing this research and saying "WTF Is wrong with you people, that isn't a result!" The paper should be smeared in Red Ink.

I know. Publish....

Re: EAT your breakfast folks

The problem with starting a thread on news stories like this is that the story is often based on a scientific paper which is sitting behind a paywall. But after a bit of Googling I managed to find a blogger who has been prepared to pay the $20 to read the full paper and has put some effort into debunking it:

AH! looks like breakfast eating is a symptom rather than a cause.
Breakfast skipping/eating is an "indirect measurement" of something else.
Or nothing in particular.

There is, however , that old adage "Breakfast like a king, dine like a pauper." so maybe there is something in this after all?

On the old adage "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper", it doesn't look as though the adage is that old from checking the source of the quote. The source is Adelle Davis, a famous US author of several books on nutrition and health, and a leader of the "food faddism" movement, and probably dates back to the 1950s or 60s.

Davis died in the 1970s from cancer, which was ironic because she asserted that she didn't know of anybody who drank a quart of milk every day dying of cancer, and it is a reasonable assumption that she must have been following her own advice.

Thank you for finding that.