Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Climategate

I don't think many AGW sceptics were or are all that bothered about what was going on behind the scenes with the release of the CRU material, on the basis that "you don't look a gift horse in the mouth". Whatever was going on, the release of the material was very helpful to the sceptic cause.

I remember in the days of Climategate 1, a few AGW sceptic blogs produced some posts explaining why the incident was far more likely to be a leak by an insider than a hack by an outsider. An example of this would be this post by the enviro-sceptic blogger "Pointman", who outlines the substantial amount of patient effort that would be required by a hacker to carry out this activity, with no particular reason to suppose beforehand that the acquired material would have any impact:

link1

There was a police investigation into Climategate, but the investigators decided to give up in mid-2012:

link2

The police did investigate the internal leak theory, but could find no evidence that it was an inside job, and concluded that "the data breach was the result of a sophisticated and carefully orchestrated attack on the CRU’s data files, carried out remotely via the internet".

However I think a police investigation depends very much on the co-operation of the victims of the crime, and I can imagine the CRU staff not being at all helpful to an investigator who tried to pursue the leak theory. The pro-AGW side, including the climate science community, seem to have convinced themselves from day one that this was a hack. In the left-liberal politics that tends to go hand-in-hand with being on the pro-AGW side, leakers or whistleblowers are seen as quite noble people, examples being Julian Assange and Edward Snowdon, and the AGWers probably can't imagine themselves having been betrayed by one of these 'noble' individuals.