Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Solar Impulse project

I am reminded of the great marketing bonanza surrounding the Prius and the vilification of "gas guzzling 4x4s".
What was carefully omitted from the evaluation of the Prius was the fact that it needed special steels to carry the weight of those batteries which are a life limiting factor.
If one only focused on the cost of fuel and the pollution emitted in use, as one was supposed to and being lead to do by the marketing, then the Prius was the future. The best thing since sliced bread.
But of one looked at the "ashes to ashes" energy content and pollution, top of the league for the most environmentally friendly vehicles came, you guessed it, a gas guzzling 4x4 with Prius somewhere down in 84th p[lace or something.
The 4x4 uses all standard materials and its engine, being oversized for the task in hand (taking the kids to school mostly, or so it seems) last practically forever. Long enough so that its "footprint" is vastly more favourable.

Thus one wonders what we are not being told about the solar project. Obviously weight is a factor.... (is this what I recall from 12 years or more ago? wasn't their some circumnavigation flight that was going to be man-powered? I need to look into it.) so what are the materials used? Very light weight films from petrochemicals? Oops!

PS. With the BBC as it is today is it safe to segregate the "scientists" from the "Climate scientists"?

Re: Solar Impulse project

"Separate the scientists from the climate scientists?"

Are you suggesting that real scientists may start distancing themselves from the climate scientists?

This makes me think of a cartoon. Cell one shows the scientists cringing away from the climate scientists. Cell 2 shows the climate scientists basking in the glow of the "Fear they perceive" in their fellow scientists. "They are scared of our knowledge, we have power!"