Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Epidemiology: VW diesels to kill 59 people but fixing them will avert 130 deaths

Ah! the fondness these days to talk about "deaths" as if the victims had had a whiff of cyanide rather than an earlier death.
At least they say "premature death" but sadly do not say by how much.... 10 years or 10 minutes?
And in studies they are usually confined to talking about all causes death due to life time exposures.
Fortuitously, the majority are easily persuaded/conned into adhering to the activist line.

There is a quotation that comes to mind :

"He that complies against his will

Is of his own opinion still

Which he may adhere to, yet disown,

For reasons to himself best known"

This is the way it is quoted in the 1600s and it suggests that once someone has made their mind up one way or another they will not readily change their minds. There will be people sitting on the 50ft thick ice sheet covering the site of London (whenever that happens as presumably it must at some time) who will still be banging on about CO2 and AGW ..... and how "global shilling is masking the true extent of global warming"

I am trying to find my source for this warming Vs chilling comment but there does seem to be a lot of concern about the missing warming.... like the dark matter conundrum, the warmists, rather than admit that AGW isn't happening or that their models are wrong seem intent on clinging to theory but finding excuses such that the Atlantic is rather unfairly acting as a heat sink or that the sun might, after all, have a role to play.

The Register

There appears to have been a pretty significant change at The Register in the last few months. The editor Lewis Page got the boot I believe in November 2015. Lewis Page could be regarded as one of the UK's most prominent AGW sceptic and anti-Green journalists. The rumours are that The Register has dropped its anti-Green position, rather unusual in the IT magazine world, that it has held for many years in favour of a more Green-friendly position that is more acceptable to the many Green-leaning IT advertisers. Another anti-Green columnist working at The Register, Tim Worstall, also got the boot.

The Bishop Hill blog has noted the change in behaviour of The Register in this recent blog post called "What's up with El Reg?":

http://bishophill.squarespace.com/blog/2016/1/22/whats-up-with-el-reg.html

The blog post notes that The Register re-published an article taken from "The Conversation" magazine (Bernd's "The Consternation" name is I would guess based on "The Conversation"), written by two academics from Bristol University (the UK's most Green-leaning university) called "The last time Earth was this hot hippos lived in Britain (that’s 130,000 years ago)":

link

You certainly wouldn't get an article like that appearing in The Register when Lewis Page was around.

Re: The Register

Bernd's "The Consternation" name is I would guess based on "The Conversation"

Unashamedly. With no apologies.

Perhaps Worstall, et al can start their own webzine. It's hard to make a living any way.

Re: Epidemiology: VW diesels to kill 59 people but fixing them will avert 130 deaths

Steven Milloy of JunkScience.com produced a response to the MIT paper a few months ago which is probably worth adding to this thread:

link