Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: It makes sense if you abandon a sense of proportion

Another good spoof article. It took me a while to realise that was from "The Consternation" rather than "The Conversation".

As I recall, The Conversation produced an article a few months ago which publicised a historical engineering scheme dreamt up in the 1920s that is even more ambitious and expensive than Bassland, a scheme to dam the Mediterranean Sea and reclaim an area of land about the size of France. The new land was to be called "Atlantropa". The Conversation article was also re-published in quite a few newspapers and magazines.

atlantropa

The author of the article seems to be arguing that as some European dreamt this scheme up and it was purportedly taken seriously by some authority figures, then Europe has to accept a large number of refugees from Africa and the Middle East. She may even be vaguely suggesting that the scheme ought to be revived in the present day, in referring at the start of the article to the plan by some Egyptian billionaire to buy a Greek island to house the refugees.

Re: It makes sense if you abandon a sense of proportion

There was an even more ambitious land relamation scheme than Atlantropa supposedly devised around the same time, called the "North Sea Drainage Project". This project was going to recover 100 thousand square miles of land from the North Sea joining the east coast of England up with continental Europe.

link

The scheme was supposedly devised by a group of "eminent English scientists" according to the US magazine "Modern Mechanics" in 1930. However there is apparently no record of the proposed scheme other than its publication in Modern Mechanics, which raises the suspicion that the magazine may have just made the story up.

Building dams in the North Sea does have one big advantage over the Mediterranean Sea in that the sea is much shallower, I think the area of sea identified for the North Sea Drainage Project is generally less than 150 feet deep whereas the sea depth at the Straits of Gibraltar, according to Wikipedia, varies from 980 to 2950 feet.