Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Air into water

This Xprize thing is a humanitarian, left-liberal project. It is described in Wikipedia as "XPRIZE is a non-profit organization that designs and manages public competitions intended to encourage technological development that could benefit mankind." So there will be no direct intention in the XPrize to make it easier or cheaper to provide water for the military, in case there is any confusion on that.

One thing I note about the XPrize is that they seem to be only interested in running costs (2 cents per litre), and they don't seem to be concerned about the initial cost of the equipment. These atmospheric water generators are not cheap - I had a quick look on Amazon to see if you could buy one there, and one is on sale at $2000 that can make 2 to 5 gallons of water per day (5 US gallons is 18.9 litres). So 2000 litres per day might require a machine, or maybe a set of machines, that costs at least tens of thousands of dollars, but presumably that cost would be paid for by some aid agency.

The military would, I assume, like the Xprize people, be interested in an off-grid solar-powered atmospheric water generator, but after a quick bit of Googling, the performance of the generators that are available today does not look very impressive. This one weighs 220 lb and can only manage up to 1.5 litres per day:

solar water generator

They don't quote any running costs for the generator.

How can we cause weather to change with these... ?

If we get enough on them on the roof of homes, can we drop the water through generators to make power?

How can we cause weather to change with these... ?

If we get enough on them on the roof of homes, can we drop the water through generators to make power?