Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Forum: Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Fake news / Fasting Days

Edward

Entirely agree that the occasional or even regular fasting day is easily coped with and has beneficial effects. On both weight and energy levels.

For the past 20 odd years, whenever I find myself getting a bit floppy round the midriff I have a near fasting (breakfast only) day once a week until normal geometry is re-established. Usually 4 to 6 weeks does the trick. Nice thing about this method of weight control is that, unlike a the usual long term restricted calorie intake diet, it doesn't seem to push the body into low food mode so there is little risk of rapidly putting the weight back on once you come off the diet and go back to normal eating. If you do put a bit of weight on then a few fasting days soon gets rid of it.

A couple of years ago there was a book published advocating combining two near fasting days once a week with five normal eating days. I understand there were plenty of recipe suggestions for both normal eating and fasting days to help ensure you got decent supplies of all nutrients. 5-2 Diet or something. Might be worth looking into.

Clive.

Email