Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Our bending author

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about JB? It seems an absolute age since I've heard anything from our highly esteemed but regrettably bending author.....

Re: Our bending author

The only activity by JEB I've noticed in 2017 is that he must have paid the subscription to keep this forum going. He pays an annual subscription to Bravenet in January, and if he is late in paying, the forum switches to a sort of suspended mode where new posts are not accepted. The forum switched to the suspended mode for a couple of days in January, but then went back to normal, indicating JEB must have paid.

In the thread "JB Absence" in Sept 2016, JEB indicated that his absence was connected with having problems with a Microsoft product, but didn't give any further details.

Re: Our bending author

I am alive, unwell and living in Wiltshire. My spouse and I have lived through a year that has been entirely governed by Sod’s Law and the ailments of humans and computers. The emergency services were brilliant, but the nadir was when I found myself, perforce, a client (victim?) of the official care system. It seems to serve no other purpose than providing employment for the unemployable. I will not go into details (there is nothing more boring than a recital of other people’s health histories) but I had to go through such experiences as a (rigged) means test. A professional carer I later consulted said “I expect you came out wondering what you had paid for – most people do”. I have been through many trials and even did a bit of cold turkey when I unilaterally gave up opiate patches.
The ultimate manifestation of Sod’s Law was that I was half way through changing hosts (as suggested by Dave) when the crises struck. I am now the proud subscriber to two separate hosting services. Naturally, financial contributions have greatly diminished with the lack of entries, but I have kept up the security subscription and this forum to keep the spirit of Number Watch alive.
Meanwhile, we both carry on, propped up by antibiotics, steroids and an array of other medications, the side effects of which seem to make the simplest tasks seem a mountain to climb, but I live in hope.