FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

Technical
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
127 series 1 "Special" Rear Side Windows

My old 127 has the opening rear side windows where the glass is glued to the latch and two small metal hinges. Or no longer glued in my case as one of the windows fell out last night when I shut the drivers door. Luckily it did not shatter. Quite miffed because I just paid for them to be "professionally" glued.

Any advice on glueing these? I've tried everything Halfords and B&Q sell!

I found a suggestion for Loctite 358 but its quite pricey so it would be great if someone has had success with it and can confirm.

To be honest after multiple attempts over several years I'm beginning to doubt it can be done. I don't know what Fiat used in the factory but lets face it they changed the design to avoid these joints on later models so even that wasn't brilliant .

On a different tack is the opening glass the same size as the fixed version? If so I could get the appropriate seals I guess and fix the glass, not very original but I can't really use the car if the windows fall out!

Re: 127 series 1 "Special" Rear Side Windows

Could the glass be drilled and a bolt used?

Re: 127 series 1

I don't think you can drill tempered glass...The later models will have had the holes drilled before the glass was tempered.

Have you tried ARALDITE ???? its a two part epoxy resin glue that sets rock hard...I`ve used it many times as a fix and its never let me down.

Membership Number: 10521 yes that is a membership number!

Yes I have tried Araldite. It held the hinges on for a few months, before giving up the ghost but the latch has become dislodged too now and as the glue is all that is stopping the window from falling out at speed I'm not confident that its a permanent solution. As its not exactly easy to glue these things up by the side of the road on a journey I really want a fit and forget solution..

So since my original posting I've looked into getting bolted fittings. I did think these didn't come in until the Series 2 with its different shaped windows, and that I might have to get some bespoke windows made (they are flat) but to my amazement I think I've found some drilled opening S1 windows on Italian E-bay.
Its like finding the Holy Grail!

Windows arrived from Italy and appear to be after market items presumably produced in response to the glue failing on the originals. Fitted the left side so far and it all went together fine.

You seem to have found a solution, but for others, here's my experience of 126 windows many years ago.

Loctite do a product called Glassbond. This works well, but needs sunlight to set properly.
Thoroughly clean all surfaces! On a sunny day, apply the glue as directed on the tube, (I can't remember if its on the glass or the fitting), then press the components together. Now you need to sit them in the sun, with the sun shining through the glass onto the glue.

I think its the ultra-violet that sets it, theoretically it might work with a sunlamp if the day is dull.

Never try to drill tempered glass, it will break.

Membership Number: 4815

Hi Juan
There is a glue used in doulble glazing where beveled sections of clear glass/resin are glued to the main glass to give decorative patterns, not my cup of tea but some people like them. this uses a glue which goes of with an ultra violet lamp so earlier in the posting it was mentioned.
If you did want to glue your origonals then i would approach your local glass decoration outlet as they may be able to help.
One of my suppliers uses the glue so if you were near to me in High wycombe i could probably get them done for you at minimal cost to have as spares. or give them to me at a show sometime so you could keep them as spares.
regards

Tim Milnes

Membership Number: 5222

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos