FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

Technical
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mk 2 facelift Punto HANDBRAKE

Hi

After fitting a new (FIAT) near side hanbrake cable and new shoes to the rear brakes im not sure if i should be adjusting the cable from within the car or waiting for the brakes to bed in and the automatic adjustment on the shoes to take effect?

The hand brake is effective while on the flat but on a slope it has to be pulled up too much - im tempted to adjust using the adjuster under the handbrake but i dont want the cable to snap (again) - any ideas/suggestions etc - my mechanic friend assured me that the adjuster in the car is only to take up the wear in the CABLE (the stretch) and should not be used to "adjust" the handbrake as the automatic adjusters on the shoes does that?

Thanks

Membership Number: 11325

Re: Mk 2 facelift Punto HANDBRAKE

if the brake shoes are the same as older fiat models, the way to adjust them up is so drive the car backwards at 10 mph, and stamp on the brakes a few times this will adjust them up

Membership Number: yes

Memories of my Punto Mk2 were of a very good handbrake.

May take a little while for the shoes to properly centralise and bed in, meanwhile do not adjust the cable too tight as this can prevent the self-adjuster working.

A tip for all drum-braked handbrakes.
Stop normally, then once stopped, push the footbrake hard before applying the handbrake.
During normal stops, the rear brake pressure is controlled to prevent lock-up. Once stopped, footbrake can apply full pressure to the rear brakes, pushing the shoes hard against the drums. Then the handbrake cable only has to hold them there, rather than try to apply them.
This technique can make even the worst handbrake adequate. Been tested in the lake district.

Membership Number: 4815

nice idea nigel, will try that one.

Membership Number: yes

Hi

The pressing the footbrake before applying the handbrake is a fantastic tip - works a treat !

Thanks

Membership Number: 11325 i think

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos