FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

Technical
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Panda Tyres and handling

Does anyone have any advice on different tyres and their effect on steering/handling on (new) Panda with 155/80 13 tyres. This is the standard size on steel wheels.

Mine is currently fitted with Sigura Tigar on the front. The steering is a bit vague, feeling like there is play in the rack or ball joints, but all is ok there. I can only put it down to the tyres, can't wait for them to wear out. Could swap them for the original Continental rears, but then they'll last forever.

Is this how Pandas are on steel wheels?
Are the Continental originals good?

Membership Number: 4815

Re: Panda Tyres and handling

The continentals are excellent. The budget tyres you have on are good only for being legal !

I would rather go without food than put budget tyres on a car

I agree, but the car came with the Tigars on there. currently going without food while saving for replacements.

Our 1.2 panda 2005 is on michelin 175/70/13 on alloys. they last a lot longer than the continentals we had before, we fitted them on after doing about 7k on continentals and the michelin energy tyres on the back have cleared 25k and the fronts probably did over 20k.
The old continantals are now on my 850 spyder and really don't work on that at 200 kilos lighter.
Check the tyre loading figure, on the continentals are
155/80/13 79t where the 79 is the load rating. the michelins are 175/70/13 82t so the load rating is about 45kilos higher.
I hope this helps
Tim

Membership Number: 5222

Hey, don't knock all budget tyres - Kumho are pretty good, and I've had some terrible other makes.

Hi,

The tyre size you have on you vehicle is properly why the car feels like it does, 80 series side wall height is a tall wall.
Basically when you turn you steering wheel there wouldn't be (or shouldn't be) any play until you got to the tyre, means when you turn your steering wheel the reaction is instant until you get to the tyre.

The delay in the steel wheel turning and the sidewall flexing until the tyres treaded area moves is probably the unresponsiveness you can feel.

This being said a premium tyre would have a better construction than a tiger, something like a Bridgestone as they seem to have a stiffer sidewall than many other tyres.

The only way to really improve is to upgrade to 14 inch wheels and with 165/65R14 tyre, this way you would have more wheel and less sidewall making the wheel and tyre combination more responsive and the Rolling Road Circumference would remain the same.

Finally check your tyre pressures as this can be a play a factor in the vehicles handling and maybe increase by 2psi or try the "fully loaded tyre pressure"

Hope this helps we have loads of information on our website, including tyres pressure for every vehicle, explanations on Rolling Road Circumference and other Tyre Definitions.

Hope this helps

John
Puretyre.co.uk

Tom Foster
Hey, don't knock all budget tyres - Kumho are pretty good, and I've had some terrible other makes.

An interesting point. I have Kumho as standard on a new Fiesta and am quite disappointed. They steer and grip well, but on many corners give the feeling that they are close to letting go. They don't give much confidence. I've not tested their limits, but they do discourage that.

Thanks John for the tyre and website info.

on my 130 coupe are kumho tyres 14" 205, drive is good,mind you with a ton and a half pressing on them should be ok,

Membership Number: yes

I would definitely put the best tyres on the front as it carries most of the weight, most of the braking force and of course the steering.

Dave
I would definitely put the best tyres on the front as it carries most of the weight, most of the braking force and of course the steering.

I wouldn't, but if you've got any rubbish tyres just replace them. Anyone who's driven a fwd Fiat Coupe fast with worn rear tyres will for ever more put the new ones on the back! I know many of the experts recommend this for all cars - have a look at

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/13203/budget-tyres

or this is from Michelin's official safety tips. http://www.michelin.com.au/Home/Interactive-Centre/Tyre-Training-Centre/Tyre-safety-saving-tips

FOR COMPLETE CONTROL, FIT YOUR NEW TYRES TO THE REAR AXLE
Rear wheels are not connected to your steering wheel, which makes it extremely difficult to judge their grip while driving. So for your safety, always fit new, or the least worn, tyres to the rear wheel positions to ensure:

Better control in emergency braking or tight corners
Less risk of losing control of your vehicle, especially on wet surfaces
Better road holding, particularly in difficult situations, whether your car is front or rear wheel drive

Membership Number: 5260

It all depends on how you drive and what car they are on - as I said I would NEVER EVER put budget tyres on a car.

Panda 1000cl runs on el-cheapo tyers! they even last longer then so called good brands! (i havent worked out why!) putting new tyers on the rear wheels each time .....intresting.... guess it pushes up sales of tyers ........... ....if i did that on the Crome i would end up in the work house! happy days!

Membership Number: ???? never can recall!

Poor tyres on the front means that if you have to brake sharply to avoid an accident you will lock up the front wheels and lose control of the car. If rear grip brakes away you are driving too fast. As my driving instructor used to say 'there are no bad bends, just bad drivers'.

i have driven (looking at my records ) 200k plus miles on cheapo tyers.....with out any issues, the only issues i have had is with so call "good tyers" ...hence i have cheapo tyers.....i rest my case! if i was racing i agree cheapo would not be a good idea! but to the normal driver (as i am)? its a way of selling more tyers? and Dave you are right, its being a good driver which makes the differance, i have seen lots of accdents were drivers dont read the road....

Membership Number: ???? never can recall!

Budget stretched, now on new Continentals.
Felt better immediately, less vague.
Now had wheel alignment done properly and is tracking and steering well. Downside is faster cornering, some pained looks from passenger!

will be quicker still without a passenger onboard

Hi All

And less braking into corners means less fuel used accelerating out of corners so more economy?

Tim

Ps our panda is at 43000miles and its still got 5mm tread on rear and 4mm tread on the front and these tyres were changed at about 24000miles from the first set of michelins that had done 17000 miles when they came off to be used on my 850 spyder.

Membership Number: 5222

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos