FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

Technical
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
124 throttle linkage

I'm trying to resurrect an old (late 60's) 124 estate. I've obtained a suitable(ish) carb -but can't fathom the linkage. I've a pivot on the rocker cover -but no linkages.

Does anyone have a photo or sketch of what I should be aiming for -I just cant fathom it out!

Thanks for any help

Membership Number: Ummm

Re: 124 throttle linkage

yes i do. but it`ts late, will sort it out......

Membership Number: yes

Hi Nigel
I should be picking an engine up from our friendly Brian soon which i think may show how it goes, i will be bringing the engine down to south Bucks which is a lot closer to you so if you wanted to have a look,
Stiggy, im looking at about 3 weeks time if thats ok with you(did you get my email reply)

Thanks

Tim Milnes

Membership Number: 5222

Hi Again

As a matter of interest are you useing a 124 carb or 131carb and is it side or down draught. and is the 124 engine a ohv or twincam?

Tim.

Tim Milnes
Hi Nigel
I should be picking an engine up from our friendly Brian soon which i think may show how it goes, i will be bringing the engine down to south Bucks which is a lot closer to you so if you wanted to have a look,
Stiggy, im looking at about 3 weeks time if thats ok with you(did you get my email reply)

Thanks

Tim Milnes

Its a131 downdraft, on a 1200 ohv.

I think I've sussed the bellcrank principal -pull the cable to push the lever, but it just doesnt make sense. The leverage ratios are all wrong. Feels like the crank is angled wrong, the rod fouls ,it would workj -but very badly.

Handily the Haynes misses the point completely.

Hi Nigel
It seems that according to both my 131 and 124 books that the two different carbs used on both of those engines have quite different linkage systems so you may have a mixture of bits.
What year is the 124 and did it come with a downdraught from new, is it possible you have the carb 180 degrees out an so the linkage is in the wrong place.

Do you by any chance have an air filter casing for the weber32dcof or solex32phh carb.

Thanks
Tim

the carb that was on the 124 engine is a 32DHS 1.PAGE 48 and PAGE 49, bit a mish mash, but see where it`s coming from psst! did you know there was 32 DCOF side draft carb as another fitting?

The cars a 68 -imported from Oz. It came without a carb (well there was some nonsense glued on -that had no chance of working.

I do have the carb the right way round -I've tried both & the other way is just daft. If there are 2 bell cranks I must have the wrong one- sort of C shaped.

Tim -Air filters? Quite possibly but I'm useless without pics. I've a substantive pile of them off my old 1100's, 1300, 1500, etc.

Email me a pic of the carbs -Nigel.Bickle@fsmail.net

I can only find pictures of 124 1197 cc linkages, plus 124 1197cc air filters.

Can you send your address to my email address and i can foward them to you, im no good with scanning things.

timilnes@hotmail.co.uk

After 7th october i should have a few more bits and pieces to play with and look at. the only 131 1600ohv bits for carbs come off an auto and so wouldn't really be suitable.

Thanks
Tim

According to my information , the Fiat 131 cars had follwing carbs; (Jim Spackman has my book on Fiat saloons 124 and 125, which may quote carbs accordingly for relevant cars.)

Fiat 131 1300(1297cc) ohv .........Weber 32ADF3 Auto Choke

Fiat 131 1600(1585cc) ohv .........Weber 32ADF Auto Choke

Fiat 131 1600 (1585cc) dohc ......Weber 32 ADF Auto Choke.

Fiat 131 Sport(1995cc)dohc..... Weber 32ADF15 Auto choke.

As you can see Fiat (notorious for part -sharing, rationalisation in manufacturing, for economies sake) used the same carb for various cars . This same carb was even used on the road-going 131 Abarth as well as the 132 in later 1800 form as well as the 2 litre cars. The probable only difference was how they were jetted.

The earlier 124 and 125 cars had manual choke cold-start operation , although using a dual -choke compound set up for added performance.

You may like to try these people for advice, I purchased a carb service kit from them for the 132 some years back.

http://www.fpuk.co.uk/main/indexfuelparts.asp

Fiat 131

Membership Number: 10962

Thanks for that Martin -it is indeed autochoke -but thats relatively easy to sort -either with hosing p;lumbed in, a conversion to manual or jumping on the throttle a lot.

Its the flaming linkage thats troubling me.

Tim -you have an email as requested. Ta

Just a huge thanks to Tim for all his help yesterday.

Hopefully the parts he offered will sort the 124 -helping me to get it roadworthy, and go a good way towards getting the 850 mobile.

Its really good to meet like minded peeps- sometimes I can feel kinda alone out here!

Thanks also to Stiggy-for the bits. Very much appreciated

Hi Nigel

You say like minded, but have you sorted your outside tap yet?

regards

Tim

That`s why we are like minded, do the fiats, leave small jobs behind,

Hi Stiggy

the outside taps work and niether leaks. that is both the cold standard water and the softened hot water for various uses includeing car washing and it used to be good for paddling pools too.

Tim

oooh! hot and cold outside taps! very posh!

Hi Stiggy

It may be posh but Both Froze this year when it got cold.

Ive just got hold of one of those utility boxes to inset into the wall and fit the taps inside so i dont have to remember to turn them off every winter

Tim

oooo! posh!

Hi Stiggy

You will be telling me next that having an inside loo is posh too

Tim

what! thar`s got inside loo?

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos