FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

Technical
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1.4 16v oil leak........

Hi

I have a 2003 punto with 1.4 16v engine. Came back from a week away and found oil patch on drive - there seems to be oil collecting around the alternator pully wheel and dripping on to the edge of the sump, and then down the sump onto the ground.

Are there any "common" areas to look for the source of the leak? I can not really see where it is comming from.

Not related to the above - noticed a grinding sound when steering right - suspect its the CV joint, although the gater is fine? any other common ailments that could cause this sort of noise - car was fine on Sunday, Monday evening noise started !

Many thanks
Simon

Membership Number: 11325 i think

Re: 1.4 16v oil leak........

could be the brake pads worn down! or pad clip come out,leak? sump gasket?

Membership Number: yes

Hi

Dont think its brakes - no noises when you use brakes, so cant be a worn pad???? Not sure about a clip missing - will have a check.

Not from the sump gasket - the oil is forming above the seal - so its probably coming from either the crankshaft seal (expensive?) or maybe from the rocker box gasket - just cant see because the timing belt cover is over the end of the rocker box where the oil is !
Its got its annual service and MOT bext week, and they will hopefully find the source............
Is a worn CV a MOT fail? If they do a visual check, they wont see any problem - and despite it being a "road worthyness" test - they never drive them !

Any other suggestions would be great
Thanks
Simon

Membership Number: 11326 i think

Took the car for another test run to identify the noise - it was coming from the back, not the front as thought.

It was the clip that hold the handbake cable to the susension arm - it was bent out and was rubbing on the tyre - the actual cable was rubing on the wheel - it had worn down to the metal "spring" inside but no cable showing.

I have snapped the clip off - it had corroded and was very weak - and i have cable tied the cable to the suspension arm to keep it clear.

What do garages do - they cant weld another clip on? Do they just cable tie it out of the way? Got the MOT on Thursday, so i guess i will find out what the tester thinks.

Any similar experiences?

And had to buy a new tyre - gouges rubbed into side wall of the one that was on !

Membership Number: 11326 i think

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos