FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

Technical
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1998 Punto Mk 1 gearbox

My car is having a persistant problem of braking the housing of the diff.The moment you pop the clutch keeping the revs around 4000rpm, the parts are coming out. Can anybody suggest an alternative? Mine is a 5 speed box with hydrolic clutch.
MalakaHerathSL

Re: 1998 Punto Mk 1 gearbox

Hi

A couple of questions,
Is this the second time this has happened, was the gearbox removed and refitted and the faliure happened straight after.

Can you describe the build up to the problem, ie was a cv joint changed prior to the gearbox problem, have you had the car long etc etc.

A bit of history can sometimes jog a memory

thanks

Tim

Membership Number: 5222

You're "popping the clutch" at 4000 rpm?

A. Why?

B. That'll be the cause of your problem right there.

Membership Number: 7109

First time it happned in 2006 when I was getting ready for our Italian Car Enthusiast's Club's sprint event.The differential housing came apart and the place where the star wheel connects to the crown wheel got ripped off.I replaced with a used box.
This time in 2011,I was testing the car for the drag race.Of course, there was a g'box whine from the bearing which holds the main shaft,which I ignored.
However,after dismantelling the two boxes,now I realise that Punto's box is bit too fragile and cannot be subject to much abuse like popping the clutch around 4000rpm.
Many thanks Tim for your reply.

Yes, I was getting ready for the drag race in my Punto.It was running on 95 octane(probably about 94 here in Sri Lanka)added with a mixture of 0.75ml azeton per 10liters of petrol.When you remove the air box,can feel a big difference.I can hit 7000rpm on the go as I've got lightened flywheel and a straight through exhaust.
Many thanks for your reply Jim.

Hi Malaka

I suppose after 6 years of hi stress from a standard road gearbox, its not done too bad really.

Are there any gearboxes that anyone knows of that are for a tougher use or would the hgt one fit.

Tim

Membership Number: 5222

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos