FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

Technical
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1.4 16v Engine - rubbling noise at 1800rpm

Hi

Our 2003 Punto has a 1.416v engine - and it nearly on 85k, which is probably below average.

It makes what i would describe as a rubbling noise at about 1800-2000rpm - and its is more noticible when the engine is warmed through.

The car uses no oil, there is no smoke from the exhaust and it will happily cruise at 80mph on the motorway and still get 40mpg+

Is it just wear and tear or does the noise point to a potential fault?

The only "problem" i have with the engine is that it does not reach half way on the temp guage, but does not creep up to temp when started from cold - so i think the thermostat needs changing.

Any ideas or just not worry about it.........

Membership Number: 11325

Re: 1.4 16v Engine - rubbling noise at 1800rpm

water pump bearing, or bearing that tensions cambelt, when was the cambelt and tensioner last changed? temp.... could be the thermostat stuck, a few idea`s to go at,

Membership Number: yes

Hi

I had the belt and tensioner done a couple of months ago - the noise was there before i had it done.

I will see if i can narrow it down to the water pump.........

The thermostat looks easy to change on this one - its easy to see and get to. - i used to have a mk1 punto, with a 1.2 engine - i seem to remember the thermostat was incorporated into the water pump on that one.

Thanks

Need to listen carefully around engine when running to try to determine the area of the noise. Anything that is rotating can cause such a noise, although one would hope not anything that is fed by pressurised oil internally.
Front end of the engine could be cambelt and tensioners as mentioned, water pump, alternator and aircon pump if fitted.
A rubbing noise is common as alternators get old as the bearings and slip rings wear.
Could just be cambelt or alternator belt too tight.
Noises at rear of engine would usually point at clutch release bearing.

Membership Number: 4815

Hi

Thanks fot he update - i have however found out what the problem is.

One of the pistons is "hitting" the cylinder head - my mechanic brother in law has stripped the head off to replace the faulty piston and he could not believe what he saw - there was not a full set of pistons for a 1.4 engine ! I am waiting for him to confirm this, but one of the pistons fitted was not for a 1.4 engine - and the car was purchased nearly new, direct from FIAT (it only had 3,500 miles on it from new) - 8 year later and the "friday" afternoon engine has started to play up!

Im going to write to FIAT to seek an explination, but do not hold out much hope of a sensible explination - and the car has got a full FIAT service history - other than the srtip down mentioned above.

Has anyone heard of FIAT fitting an incorrect piston to an engine - think i have read somewhere the early 1.2 engines had a similar problem.

And to cap it all, you have to but replacement pistons from FIAT - no aftermarket for the really.

Just hope the car will be okay when its rebuilt - the engine was obviously noisy prior to this, but pulled well, used no oil and started first time.

Thanks

Do not repair the car.

Very important. Having worked with Rover dealers and with the manufacturer, it is important that you do not lose any evidence.

Regardless of age, this is a manufacturing defect. I'm not a legal person, but I think there is no limit on this if it can be proven that no repairs have taken place previously. if you are a member of AA or RAC, consult their legal helpline for advice. They may well take up the case for you.

Before you undertake any further repairs, contact Fiat, a phone call may get their attention, but make notes of who you speak to, when and what is said/agreed. Invite them or their nearest dealer to inspect the engine as stripped. Once rebuilt they are likely to close the door on you.

As the repair is being carried out at a non-Fiat garage, you are unlikely to get labour costs, but I would expect to get a set of pistons and all gaskets supplied free of charge. I'd also be pushing for oil and coolant too as necessary for the job, unless the engine was due a change at this time or soon.

Thanks for the advice Nigel.

I will contact FIAT but i can not leave the repairs - my wife is without a car at the moment and i can not imagine it would be a very prompt response from FIAT. Im also relying on the goodwill of my mechanic - he is planning on putting the engine back together again once the head is returned from being skimmed.

I will retain the "faulty" parts and as i am an AA member, i may well ask thier advice.

I just can not believe a major manafacuter of engines could be so slack in its quality control. Im also suprised that the engine has got to 85,000 trouble free miles !

Thanks again

I appreciate the urgency to have the car running again, but motor manufacturers are unlikely to believe anything they cannot see. Make the call to AA asap, a call from them to Fiat may get a quicker response.

I once saw a Rover 3.5 V8 engine with worn rocker shaft at 85,000 miles. There were no oilways drilled in the head. The rocker shaft and rockers had been lubricated only by the oil they collected when the engine was topped up or the oil changed. Luckily this was on the side with the oil filler.
Despite being 7 years old, Rover supplied a new head and rocker assembly and paid all the labour, so no arguments were needed.

Once the engine is back together your chances of recompense diminish.

Good luck.

Thanks Nigel

I will be in touch with them and see what they say !

Regards
Simon

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos