FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

Technical
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Buying a Cinquecento/Seicento

Hi, I am considering buying a Cinqucento/Seicento to compete in car trials. Briefly these consist of negotiating a course set out up a usually grassy hillside. I am fed up with my mate in his Seicento beating me but the real crunch came when his daughter beat me on her first ever trial! So if you can't beat them join them I was thinking.
These cars have the advantage of being small, light and very manoeuvrable all of which are desirable for trials. The only advantage I can see of having a seicento rather than a cinquecento is that the former has power steering. But the front panel on the seicento is very low to the ground and just behind it the oil cooler is also mounted vulnerably low when traversing rough ground.

I would greatly value any comments/ suggestions you may wish to make regarding this choice together with any other model specific items to be aware of when viewing a prospective purchase.

Thanks for your help, Chris.

Membership Number: N/A

Re: Buying a Cinquecento/Seicento

I've been looking at buying a cinq sporting as a similar project. The advantage of the seicento is that it's newer as cinqs are just showing signs of age. With the 1100cc fire engine they are actually tuneable too. I'm getting back into small light and quick Fiats - I think it's a good choice but I do prefer the boxy shape of the cinq. Will it be standard or modified ?

Re: Buying a Cinquecento/Seicento

Hi Leo, Thanks for your reply and apologies for the delay in replying.
I would probably run the car as standard to start with as they seem to work well on trials. In most forms of motorsport engines are tuned to give more power at the top end of the rev range. For trials you need more power as low revs and greater flexibility so yo can apply power without getting wheelspin. In fact one of the more successful cars are 1.4 Novas but they are often detuned by fitting a cam from a 1.2 engine.

Anyway to get back to Fiats! I favour the Seicento over the Cinq maily coz it has power steering. This not only makes the steering lighter but allows you to change locks more quickly which is vital at times. Also it makes it easier to steer one handed so you can use the handbrake with your left hand where required. The one thing I am concered about is the lack of ground clearance and the vulnerability of the rads just behind the front bumper / skirt. I am not sure whether it is possible to raise the front suspension a little but it is a possibility.

The other great advantage to me is that if I decide to trailer the car it is short enough to fit a Smart car trailer which is small enough to manhandle into my driveway.

I am suprised more car club members don't compete as it is about the cheapest form of motorsport around. You can compete in a standard road car and it will only cost around £25 for a days sport.

Thanks again, Chris.

Membership Number: N/A

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos