FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

Technical
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grange Punto 130 Sporting Gearbox

Hi

My Grande Punto Sporting is 4 1/2 years old and has 27k on it - mainly motorway commuting miles. Car has been faultless in the 4 years i have owned it, other than routine maintenance, a new timing belt and a new spring.

About 3 weeks ago i began hearing what i would describe as a whining noise at 1500 - 200 rpm, but only in 1st and 2nd gear - i thought it was turbo noise but i now suspect the gearbox. But as soon as you lift of the throttle, the noise stops?

Took it to my local dealer and the mechanic went round the block in it with me and siad he could hear the noise - suspected somthing on the Diff? I have it booked in next week for them to try and identify the noise.

Has anyone got any idea? I have found postings elsewhere on the web regarding the M32 gearbox - which mine has - but they are mainly Vauxhall cars.

Im not sure how the gearbox or diff can whine at a specific rpm and gear, and stop as soon as the throttle is lifted - the revs do not drop off that quickly?

So any ideas would be gratful - and if it is the gearbox, what will happen if its not fixed????

Thanks

Membership Number: 11325

Re: Grange Punto 130 Sporting Gearbox

There's a few threads on this over on the Fiat Forum. No experience of it myself but it seems it's likely to be diff bearings or gearbox bearings.

Is the gearstick moving around more than it should do when you're on the road - that seems to be a sign too?

I'd rule out other things first - try changing the gearbox oil if it hasn't been done so far. I guess you've ruled out leaking/split air hoses etc as they can make funny noises like you describe & sound like something more sinister.

Good luck.

Membership Number: 5260

Hi Gavin

Thanks for the update - i will see if i can find the posts you mentioned.

The gear stick does move when you accelerate/decelarate - mainly when its in 5/6 and first - it has done this for ages - maybe even since i got the car (from a Main dealer with 1,500 miles on it). But other than this noise, the gearbox if fine - all gears are easy to select without any problems - even when the gearbox is cold.

Its going in on Tuesday to be checked - i suspect somthing like the differential - i assume that this can be replaced on its own? Wont be cheap though i suspect..............

Will let you know

Simon

not some think like the altanator? (or how ever you spell it!) playing up, had the same on a punto, around about 2nd gear engine speed,

Membership Number: 9289

I hope it is something other than Gearbox related - should be "cheaper" to fix !

What i can explain is why does the sound stop as soon as you lift off the throttle - i would imagine the gearbox/diff are till spinning at almost the same revs?

I originally thought it may be turbo noise - but i can not hear it when the car is stationary - even when im reving to the 1500-2000 rpm - i can hear a healthly turbo whistle, and plenty of Diesel engine noise - but nothing else?

Its in at my local dealer on Tuesday - they are usually very good and honest ! I just hope they find its something cheap to fix................

Simon

Hi

Car went in on Tuesday (had a broken spring on Monday too!) and they have had to remove the gearbox to identify the problem - turns out its the main gearbox bearings.
They are going to replace them and the dealer has very kindly taken up my case with FIAT to see if they will offer any goodwill in light of the low mileage and age of the car.

I can not fault the dealer - they have been excellent, and if FIAT do offer a goodwill gesture, it helps. But a gearbox should really last longer than 27K, especially as most of those miles are in 6th gear on the motorway.

Many thanks

Hi

Got the car back today and its like a new car - gear box is quite and the gear stick no longer moves when you accelerate/decelarate in 1/2 5/6. Do not know yet how much i have to pay - the dealer is waiting to see if FIAT are going to make a contribution...........

Regards

Re: Grange Punto 130 Sporting Gearbox UPDATE and another question

An update on the gearbox - my local dealer opened a loyalty claim with FIAT uk and got about a third of the cost of the repair cost paid for me - obviously i would not expect to have agearbox rebuild at 27k, but can not fault my dealer for sorting it and getting a decent contribution.

Now i have a nice "new" gear box (that had been wearing out prematurly for years) the car is quite - so quite i now hear other noises !

When i reverse the car, it seems more noisy - i know that the gear(s) for reverse are straight cut, and that can cause a whining noise. This is more of a vibration - just wondered if any one had come accross this - thought it could be the linkage vibrating when reverse engaged, or maybe the undertray vibrating more?

Regards

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos