FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum
Technical
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
electrical

hi i have a fiat stilo 1.6 2003 when im driving the car it cuts out and on the display the car says security failure but when i lock and unlock the car it will restart and drive but sometimes it won't drive far before it does the same thing again what could this be. please can anyone help with this

Re: electrical

Your description suggests that the immobilizer is suddenly deciding it does not recognise the key. To happen during the journey is odd, as I would expect it to read the key at startup, then only again at each further start.
I think, first place to look is at the wiring connections inside the column shroud. Take the shroud off, then with the engine running, gently wriggle all the connections you can find, BUT MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT IN FRONT OF THE AIRBAG, in case it goes off. If this does not identify a poor connection, try gently wriggling the key, to see if it is a loose fit in its lock.

If no joy there, follow the wiring from the column, to the car loom under the fascia somewhere. I would expect a connection here somewhere to facilitate removal of the column without a long loom attached. Wriggle this.

Hopefully, this will identify a poor connection that can be fixed easily.

If you have a spare key, try the car with that, see if you get the same symptoms.

Not fixed. Could be a doorlock sending a message that it is open, although this would normally just show a door open warning.

Good luck.

Membership Number: 4815

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos