FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

Technical
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2006 Panda Front Suspension Mounts

The front suspension top mountings on the Panda are surprisingly not fixed to the vehicle, elying on the vehicle weight to keep them in place, with just a big washer on top to prevent them falling out if the wheels leave the road. 500, some Punto, Bravo and Ka are similar.

At MOT time, the tester lifts the vehicle to allow the wheels to hang, then lifts the wheel to check for play in the top mount. MOT rules limit this to 5mm max. If the top mounting was fixed, this would be a reasonable test, but there is 5mm of movement before the mounting sits back into its location. We need to separate the movement from the play. Previous years have been fine, but this year, a fail. For a design fault. It is impossible to assess any play in the mounting until the mounting is firm into its location, but this is difficult to determine. VOSA and Fiat do not appear to have issued any guidelines or rules as to how much movement is permitted, or how to properly assess it.

Has anyone else had issues with this at MOT time?
Does anyone have any answers?

The MOT station expects replacement of the top mountings, but whilst this is not difficult, or too expensive, I am not convinced it will make any difference.

Membership Number: 4815

Re: 2006 Panda Front Suspension Mounts

Doesn't sound like it's being tested right to me. I don't pretend to understand the suspension, but the MOT tester's manual explains different testing methods for the various suspension types at Section 2.5 - not all of them refer to having the wheels off the ground if I'm reading it right.

Get the tester to confirm he's done it correctly following the guidance (he needs to check with Vosa if he's not sure), which section it's going to fail on, then take it to (or at least check with) another MOT station. You can appeal the failure if you think it's wrong.

Membership Number: 5260

Re: 2006 Panda Front Suspension Mounts

Had issues with our 06 Panda when 3 years old.
I found I could lift the front hubs about 3-5mm without the top mounts moving - could feel a slight clunk doing this. dealer siad the standard ALT (All Like That) and offered to prove it.
Put their demonstrator on the hoist, and sure enough, as the weight came off the suspension, the top mount rubbers sagged. when ours went on the hoist, the same thing happened, but when tested by lifting the wheels (both sides), their own mechanic reckoned there was play in the top mounts. So they were changed as part of our last 3 year 'extra warrantee' service.
That dealer is no longer trading, they went bust - not surprising as they charged us for new front pads and discs which they didn't actually fit until I pointed out the old discs while the top mounts were being checked. Car had passed the MOT with both of the 'faults' present!!

Membership Number: yes

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos