FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

Technical
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
panda misfire/shake

Hi All

We have a 2005 panda 1.2 petrol, its due its service and I have all the bits to do it but, its developed a misfire at idle and im hoping its obvious when I remove the plugs as to which cylinder it is.

my question is, we have developed to ability to shock anyone who gets in or out of the car when they touch the bodywork and I was wondering if the coil packs breakdown slowly and whilst running they discharge to the bodywork (causing the idle misfire) and then shock you when you touch the paintwork and the ground as you get out, the car does misfire slightly whilst running too, but has anyone had experience of this type of discharge from the coil

thanks for reading my ramblings

Tim

Membership Number: 5222

Re: panda misfire/shake

Our Qubo 1.3 diesel gives us a shock too?

Membership Number: 12302

Hi Tim

My old Tempra did the same shock wise, off side worse the near side, cleaning up the earting/ neg return points on the car used to do the trick,

Membership Number: Yes

I think the two issues will not be related.
The misfire could be just a plug, or a coil or HT lead breakdown. Hopefully the plugs will identify which of them is being lazy. If not, with the engine running remove one plug lead at a time, then replace it, and see which one makes little difference when removed. This is the cylinder not firing properly. Remove the lead with insulated pliers, or it will bite you.
Pop the new plugs in and see if this fixes the problem.
If not fixed, see if you can swap a plug lead from the bad one with a good one from the other coil and see if the misfire stays at its original position or moves with the lead. If it moves, replace the lead.
If the problem stays with the original cylinder, swap the two coil packs over. If the coil is breaking down, this will move the misfire to the "new" cylinder. If the misfire stays at its original location, this suggests a mechanical problem, such as head gasket or valve.

Membership Number: 4815

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos