FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

Technical
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stone chip repair

Hi

My wifes 500 got a stone chip on the bonnet last week.

Im having a problem with the touch in paint actually staying in the repair !

I always tend to use either a needle or a fine brush to build up layers of touch in paint until it looks pretty much level - I then usually use autoglymn polish to "cut" it in.

Tried this on Saturday and the paint came out - the last coat was about 12 hours old. Re did this again on Sunday - 4 or 5 coats and left it overnight - did not try to polish it in.

When my wife got back from work on Monday night - the paint had gone again !

So is it a duff paint pen? I tend not to bother with the clear coat but now im wondering if the actual paint is only properly protected with the clear coat?

Any ideas - the chip had only been there a maximum of a week - I wash the car every week. It is about the size of a third of your little finger nail - so its fairly big. Its also down to the metal - I assume the galvanised layer is okay but there is no way of knowing !

Ive touched it in again, and will put a clear coat on tomorrow - but any thoughts or ideas would be great !

If I can't get it to stick, im going to have to pay the "Paint" man at my local FIAT dealer a visit.

Many thanks
Simon

Membership Number: 11325

Re: Stone chip repair

Hi Simon,

I have previously been told that modern water based touch up's can have a problem with not sticking easily. I don't know how true it is, but I was told the best method is to apply the base, use a hairdryer to dry it & force out any water, then later apply the clearcoat to protect it. If you aren't using the clearcoat I guess that's why you are having problems.

Regards, Gavin

Membership Number: 5260

Thanks Gavin.

I do suspect is a combination of water based paint and me not using the top coat. Or a duff paint pen - i did shake it for several minutes and i could hear the aggitator rattling around in it - but perhaps water based does not last as well as solvent based?

I have tried it with the top coat but it seems to go a different colour (than white) - so i immediatly wiped it off - perhaps i should let it dry and it will show no colour change?

I touched the chip in again last night, put about 4 or 5 layers onto it - seemed to have gone hard today but car is left parked up in garage. Will see if i can try and cut it in a bit tonight.

Does the application of the top coat give the impression the colour is changed - looked like the touched in paint had a brown tinge to it - may give it a go on a part of the paint work that cant be seen - to see if the touch in white stays white with the top coat?

Many thanks

Sounds like crap paint to me, I regular touch up stone chips on all 3 of my cars and this has never happened and I never use the clear coat.
Is the paint from a Fiat Delaer or made up from a paint suppliers - not that it should matter, what colour is your car Simon just out of interest?

Hi

Its a genuine FIAT pain stick from my dealer - I got it the day we got the car, which is Bossanova White.

I have ordered a new (FIAT) paint pen, to see if it makes any difference.

I have had FIATs for 15 years and have been a mix of base colours or metallic - I have never had any problems like this - my "method" of repairing a stone chip always worked okay and I have never bothered with the clear coat.

I will let you know if the replacement paint is any better!

Regards

Hi

My wife got home from work and the paint had pretty much gone again !

It must be duff paint - I had put 5 or 6 layers on, leaving a gap between each one, and then left it for 24 hours - then lightly polished the area with Auto Glymn - first day out its gone.

Went to Halfords to try and get some white primer - could only buy white primer as a scratch/chip repair kit - which includes a top coat - they don't do Bossanova, but got a set to try the primer.

Just put two layers on and it looks much more "solid" - will leave it to harden, smooth it off and then try a coat of the Bossanova colour - ordered a new one from FIAT, which I hope comes tomorrow.

If none of that works im giving up and letting the "Chips Away" man have a go !

Coincidently, I have a Panda which had a couple of very minor chips on yesterday - used the paint pen for that, and they are fine - it is metallic though - but Im guessing still water based?

Simon

Hi

Aghhhhhhhhh - i let the white primer harden, and then tried the top coat - a brand new paint stick (FIAT) - put about 3 or 4 coats on and left it overnight (about 18 hours in totoal) - went to put the clearcoat on and it looked blue/grey ! So i wiped the clear coat off and the paint came out too :>{ but not the primer.

I think its water based paint - it does nto seem to dry hard enough? or am i not leaving it long enough? And do i just have to leave it if it looks blue/grey and let the clearcoat dry - i think it will dry clear, but when i see what it looks like wet, i wiped it off !

And can you still get (from?) touch in pens that are NOT water based paint - i know Halfords will mix any coliur, and as its thier primer i have used, i wondering if i should give their paint a go?

Any suggestions?

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos