FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

Technical
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fiat punto speedometer

Hi
I wonder if anyone can help me.
I purchased a Fiat Punto Sporting 1.2 on a Y reg for my daughter last year to pass her test in.
At time of purchase the speedo didn't work but she overcame this by using her SatNav speedo. The car is now due it's MOT, and apparently the speedo is now included in the test. When I put the car into my local garage, it's transpired that some time ago the original automatic gearbox had been replaced with a manual box, and the speedo wiring 'messed about with' and not reconnected. They say that to fix it, they need a colour wiring diagram for this model. I have tried everywhere to obtain this, but no-one seems to be able to help me. Even my local Fiat main dealer says all of his diagrams are numbered not coloured.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks

Re: Fiat punto speedometer

Sorry can't help with the wiring, but (assuming the car hasn't already failed on the speedo, which will then be recorded on the failure sheet) as a temp measure you could take it to a garage that doesn't know it's faulty.

The MOT testers manual states:

Method of testing

1. Check that a speedometer is fitted
2. Check the condition of the speedometer

Reasons for failure

1. Speedometer not fitted.
2. Speedometer not complete or clearly inoperative, or dial glass broken or missing.
Note: It is not a Reason for Rejection if the dial glass is cracked, providing:
· there is no possibility of misreading the speedometer or · there is no possibility fouling of the indicator needle or · the cracked glass does not create a safety hazard.
3. The speedometer cannot be illuminated.

It is NOT tested on the road for the MOT so unless it's clearly broken, missing or won't illuminate the tester will pass it. Many older cars have passed tests with wonky speedo's (sometimes they work, sometimes not!), although clearly the Club does not condone this & this is not advice!

Clearly you have a potential issue with driving a faulty car on the road, but that aside it shouldn't be a problem for the MOT unless you've brought it to their attention.

Hope this helps.

OK.

The best I can come up with is from a Fiat Punto Porter Workshop manual for years 1994 to 1999 (L reg to S reg).

The only good news is that Fiat tend to stick to basic colours and wirings so there is a good chance that what follows will be OK.

The speedo sender unit has 3 wires

1) The Black (N) wire connects to a chassis Earth point

2) The Light Blue with Red stripe wire connects (possibly via the fuse box) back to the instrument cluster and is a common 12V to much of the instrument panel

3) The Light Blue and White stripe wire is the pulsed signal wire which goes back to the instrument cluster/speedo and passes through dashboard cables to front cables connector.

NOTE! ALL cables maintain their colour coding from source to destination! (which helps tremendously)

Nick /////

Membership Number: 4970

Might resort to this if all else fails!

Thanks Nick. I'll pass it on to the garage

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos