FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

Technical
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WARNING:::Petrol tanks

In all the years I`ve been messing with motors I`ve never changed a petrol tank, or had need to clean one out. You might recall that I have a 127 1300GT which I bought years ago from John Colley; well I`m in the process of getting it back on the road. Thing is I couldn`t get any fuel up from the tank.....yes I did all the checks. Turns out that the fuel feed/pick up pipe from the tank was blocked....Its the metal pipe attached to the sender unit with a gauze filter at its end.

On removing the tank and examining the pipes, I can only say that I was astounded at what I found. the pick up pipe was completely bunged up with a thick sticky goo and there was debris and goo within the tank. There was also a horrible brown/yellow mix of fuel.

So if you`re old Fiat has been idle for a few years it stands to reason the the fuel tank will be in a poor condition.......

Membership Number: ex

Re: WARNING:::Petrol tanks

Membership Number: yes

Re: WARNING:::Petrol tanks

Refurbished my tank:

1) half a cup of Fairy liquid tipped in the tank and a kettle of boiled water
2) Give it a good swill
3) wash the remainder out with a good pressure wash
4) Put into the tank three cup fulls of stone gravel (lucky here bloke next doors drive is crunchy
gravel) shake the tank with the stones inside particularly the top section
5) Empty the stones and swill out with water
6) put the stones back in and do it again give it a good shaking shaking...that gets rid of the
loose rust
7) swill out with water untill runs clear
let it thoroughly dry
9) pour in about 500ml of kurust and shake well swilling the top bottom and sides to ensure all
interior surfaces are covered. then tip out the residue.
10) leave it to dry
11)Get some interior petrol tank sealant like POR-15
12) Pour the contents into the tank and swill all around this will coat and seal all the interior
13) leave to dry and set

You now have a tank as good as new!

Membership Number: ex

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos