FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

Technical
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
850 Mk3 Coupe Tyre Size Advice

I'm due a new set of tyres on my Coupe and wondering if anyone knows which sizes are suitable? It's currently got the standard 155/80 x13 but it's woefully under geared (approx 15mph per 1000rpm). I'd like to fit something a little larger to reduce the revs, has anybody any experience of different sizes? Many thanks.

Membership Number: Lapsed

Re: 850 Mk3 Coupe Tyre Size Advice

Tim is the one to speak to, as he'll know. His contact details are in Parliamo, as 850 registrar.

Membership Number: 5260

I've also got an 850 series 3 coupe and I have 175/70 R13 tyres on mine, but I checked the useful website below and it turns out the diameter is pretty much the same as yours:

http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/?page=tyre.htm

I haven't thought of my car as under-geared before but I don't tend to go on motorways so I find it fine for A roads.

Membership Number: 12358

Hi Kevin

175/70/13 is as big as i would go with a standard car

165/80/13 does fit on the rear but doesn't change things much that you would notice whilst driving and i would accompany these on the front with 165/70/13.

If you fit anything much bigger it starts to look funny on the rear.

the route to go down for the gearing would be either change the gearbox to one from a 850 saloon which will give you about 16.4mph per 1000 revs.

or even find a ring and pinion set that is 9/41 or something like it, this gives about 18mph/1000

coupe runs 8/37
saloon runs 8/39
van/camper runs 8/35 ish please check these to the hand books as they are from memory

in summary go for the 175/70/13 an consider the gearbox option for another day, but please choose a good quality tyre, economy brands loose you energy and dont take the sideways force that the 850's can create at the rear.

i hope that all makes sense

Tim

Membership Number: 5222

Many thanks Tim and Tony, 175/70's it is ...

Membership Number: Lapsed

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos