FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fiat Barchetta cam belt automatic tensioner guide pulley failure

Evening, I have just bought a fiat barchetta, no history so set about servicing it and getting ready to change the cam belt as the engine was running about 3000 rpm on the drive, the graphite pulley on the autop tensioner exploded into pieces causing the cam belt to go loose and the engine to die, I am taking the head off tomorrow to see what the damage is. Has anyone heard of this happening before? I dont know if this is a sign something else is wrong. As the belt didnt actually snap and the cam only seems to have slipped about 20 degrees I am hoping it is not game over for the engine but wouldnt wantto change everything and find it happens again.

Any help appreciated. Regards

CHris

Re: Fiat Barchetta cam belt automatic tensioner guide pulley failure

Worst case (I would have thought) is some bent valves. I doubt the engine is mullered.

Vauxhall historically had a "problem" with cambelt failure, when in actual fact most of the problems were actually caused by pulley failure, hence why it was usually recommended to change belt and pullies

It's quite common on the Alfa 16v twinspark engine. which is effectively a Barchetta engine with a different head fitted.

Thanks guys, I read a few things on alfa forums saying it was an issue so that has put my mind at rest. ordered a new tensioner and belt kit today so will fit at the weekend and reset the valve timing and then check compression. hopefully I got away with it, if not exchange head!

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos