FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Restoration Begins

Hello all,

I thought I'd show you all the start of my 1978 Fiat 127 restoration.
I bought the car around a year ago from a member of the club (Gavin). I did promise that I would keep him informed of the restoration once it began.

Here are some snaps:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/round1_2006/Photo0097.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/round1_2006/Photo0098.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/round1_2006/Photo0099.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/round1_2006/Photo0100.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/round1_2006/Photo0101.jpg

Haven't had any real problems yet, although I am struggling to remove the steering column.

I am hoping to get the shell dipped once stripped, although this approach is new to me. Should avoid the dip for any reasons?

Any way was just a quick vist as this is only the start...

Cheers

Re: The Restoration Begins

You bought a car from Gavin? It'll end in tears I'm telling you.

Good luck with that! Be nice to see another one saved.

Yes, I know I'm supposed to hate them...

Ignore anything Jim says - he's an alleged 127 hater, but he loves them really!!!!!

The 900C is a very rare car, and I really hope Wayne will get this one sorted! I loved it, and John (the previous owner) ran it for years... Not the quickest car, but a real show stopper!

Re: Re: The Restoration Begins

Ignore that nasty welshman - he's been at the sheep again !!!

Couldn`t get my head around the photobucket site to have a look (old skool computor idiot), but hey! anyone giving a 127 some treatment is good news

Rear wheel arches/ rear shock mounting area/rear of sills...infact all of the arsene end is prone. Check where front bulkhead adjoins inner wing assembley and around engine mounts to inner wings. Front screen valence etc. etc.....oh shut up Rob!

Good luck

Here you go Rob - it's a nice little 900C with a great history and many years in the Club - definitely worth a resto.

Gavin.

Generally the bodywork is good, appears to have been ziebarted from new which has saved it from tin worm...The rear wheel arches are shot though and some small work required on the rear inners too. I have however managed to source some repair panels for the rear arches from germany.
Its actually a really nice car to work on, old simple technology and without put a curse on it I haven't had too many stubborn bolts.

Anyway some more update picks from the weekend work...

Steering column finally removed.

Photobucket

Engine ready to lift. All struts and shafts removed.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Still looks pretty sound to me - I know the rear wheel arches were needing attention, but the front end looks ok for a 127.

What your looking at here is a 30 plus years old Fiat! I`ll repeat that for anyone who`s a new visitor to this site....its 30 years old!!!!

The motoring media of the late 70`s and the 80`s, must have been well bunged up by home UK manufacturers to have started the "Fiats rot well syndrome". The truth is they were no worse than their peers of the day.

My parents had 4 Fiats in the 70s/early 80s Rob, including a 132 that was kept for 6 years. The only sign of any corrosion on them was where stonechips hadn't been touched up, and even then it was only cosmetic, surface rust

A little update...

Engine out.

and oh dear and any ideas?? Can I get repair panels?? If so where...

Then some random shell shots...

All is well really apart from rear inners. I will need to source some new engine mounts for the re-build as the lower has completely split.
It's not until I start grinding, cutting and repairing until the fun starts...

Any advice is greatly received...

Many Thanks

Try again... A little update...

Engine out.

Photobucket

Photobucket

and oh dear and any ideas?? Can I get repair panels?? If so where...

Photobucket

Then some random shell shots...

Photobucket

Photobucket

All is well really apart from rear inners. I will need to source some new engine mounts for the re-build as the lower has completely split.
It's not until I start grinding, cutting and repairing until the fun starts...

Any advice is greatly received...

Many Thanks
P.S Can posts be deleted????

Rear suspension mounting is a favourite nesting place for tinworm on the 127. Regretfully repair patches and the complete rear wheel tubs are no longer available. You could try Italy, but no one has had any luck in the last few years.

The shock absorber top mount, is bolted to a hockey stick shaped reinforcement panel made of much thicker metal, which is welded to the box section over the rear wishbone. Over this is fitted the inner rear wheel arch tub. This is spot welded to the adjacent inner rear wing, the boot floor and the shock absorber reinforcement panel. The latter forming a double skin where your 127 has corroded.

Your only option will be to cut out the rotten metal and fabricate a welded on repair.....Suggest you use weld through primer on the repair section and good original metal. It has a high zinc content and will afford some protection where you will not reach with waxoil. Good luck

hi good to see another of gavins 127s being restored,a truly honest seller.your 127 looks to be in really good condition, best of luck in the resto.
p.s we restored one of gavins old 127, ely 48 t, pictures are on here.

hi mate

the hard bit is putting it back together m8 nothing never goes first time trust me i built 3 now one which i sold to gavin not so long ago just have to keep going with it mate it will get there in the end if need any bits for it let me know got a hole 127 sport in bits that need a home

Here's a trainspotter type question for you then. My recollection was that the 900C rear end had a fixed rear glass that didn't lift up with the boot. Is my memory playing tricks with me?

It is a little I'm afraid John! The 900L was a 2 door as you describe. The 900C was a 3-door hatch.

Never quite got the hang of the lettering as the comfort one was more luxurious.......... Anyway there were 900L 2 doors, 900C & CL 3 doors, 1050L, C & CL 3 doors.

Gavin.

Thanks Rob youv'e gave me some food for thought. Never heard of weld through primer so I'll look into it. Do you know what thickness the hockey stick shaped panel was?

Seamus, I looked at you resto pics of ely, looking nice...Have you got any pics from the process? I also read on here that you did such a nice job Gavin wants it back...

Thanks Ben I will definately take you up on the spare parts. A couple of small things are needed already. I need a set of screw bolts for the doors and boot as all were painted in and just got a big mangled in the removal... Also the caps that cover the bolts securing the roof handles were very brittle and all broke in one fashion or another. I also need a set of engine mounts, but as you had a sport and mine is a 900 I'm guessing they are different so if anybody else can help in that region I would be grateful.
I also need to find a supplier that can provide the various trim clips etc.

Many Thanks

Sorry it's a bit late for you Wayne, but the best way to get those screws off on the door hinges is either with an impact screwdriver, a hot air gun or both. Worked on my Beetle a treat (sorry to swear)

Wayne,

Tim (username Timboengineering) is breaking a 900 over on the Fiat Forum. Look under parts; he might have some bits you need - http://www.fiatforum.com

I'm currently restoring a series III 127 GT. Good luck with yours. Nick

Hay nick, Nice to hear of someone restoring a GT, i have one myself. any pics of your work. ED

Hi Edd - don't want to hijack Wayne's thread but will post pics up when I'm a bit further down the road.
I've stuck my email address on the message - drop me a line with some pics of yours if you've got 'em.
Nick

oops nick.waters1@sky.com.
Sorry again Wayne!

Hello all,

Well its been a while and really nothing else has happened.
Apart from the doors its a complete shell with only small clips etc to remove.

I've started cutting out the rust and as ever is worse than first expected. Ahh well it's all fun...isn't it???

This time I have another question;
What the best way to remove waxoyl and the original sealer? Any tips? Solvents, heat, tools??

Many Thanks

Hi Wayne, I found heat and a paint scraper or a sharp chisel best for removing sealer. The waxoyl is more difficult, again heat and a cloth to wipe it off, if you can get at it.

Good to see another 127 survivor, my brother now owns Seamus's Sport, which tried to kill itself by spewing petrol everywhere, sorted now, phew, I've got a MK3 903 runner, just insured it and a 1300GT project.

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos