FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
126/850 sport 'cross over parts'

hi, I'm collecting parts for the 850 coupe rebuiled..so, does any have a list, or know, what mechanical parts are interchangeable from FSM 126 to 850 coupe series 1? i only ask because ive seen stuff on ebay,brake parts etc listed with 500/126/850 as their title...
but i'm shipping to malaysia so i dont really want to make mistakes.....

looking at the car, for example, the top wishbone front suspension looks very close to FSM 126...also FSM parts are much cheaper (and new) than the 850 stuff that crops up...

any thoughts?, cheers, dave

Re: 126/850 sport 'cross over parts'

As far as I know, nothing is interchangeable between these two cars. Everything is much smaller/weedier on the 126.

oh ok, its that ive owned 126's in the past....and some parts def LOOK the same, also on ebay etc, rear wheel cylinders/shoes are sometimes listed as fitting both. for instance im pretty certain that the front suspension bushes are the same (the press in ones for the wishbones)and points/condenser, 2 examples..
if i was still in the uk id risk ordering....but i bow to your knowledge..

thanks for the input....

Hi Dave , although it is some time since I had an 850 and have spent more time with the "weedie" Fiats I think that you are right and although I have no parts books that might give you a definitive answer I refreshed my memory by flipping through the Haynes manuals and many parts not only look similar but where there is tech info some sizes match also. I can tell you where there was a Sports Coupe in a breakers yard last year. I think that it is nearer to your patch than mine being on the north island of New Zealand,
all the best "another " Dave

Re: Re: 126/850 sport 'cross over parts'

hello dave, this will mean a call during the night to england but you would get a defo answer, malcolm fancy,01300345577, office hrs 08.00-5.30 ish!

The upper A-arm is common with the Fiat 600, which may not make it any easier to find cheap.

There are quite a few bits and pieces which fit the 850 and the 126 or other models were parts are equally cheap and plentiful. A lot depends of the age of both the car and the parts. You'll have to find parts catalogues and make sure you are getting the correct part as older parts or parts from other manufacturers may not fit. I've missed the Fiat 600 off this list as it gets a bit complicated.

Here's some examples of stuff I've found while rebuilding my 850:

Disc brake rotors are common between Fiat 850, Fiat 124 Spider ('66-'85) and the Fiat 127 ('71-'86)

Brake shoes are common between the Fiat 126, Fiat 127 ('71 - '86 except diesel 1.3), Fiat 850 and coupe ('64 - '72), Fiat 850, Fiat Cinq 170 ('91 - '98) and others (depends on shoe manufacturer)

Depending on the type, the brake pads are common between the Fiat 127 ('71-'86 0.9, 1.0, 1.0 Sport), Fiat 850, Fiat Panda (141A) ('80 - 2004), Fiat X 1/9 (128 AS) ('72 - '89) and others

The front outer wheel bearings are common to the 500 and 850

Many engine parts and gaskets are common to all 903cc engines including the 850, 127, A112, Panda, Uno, etc, but beware that opposite rotations mean that seals are often not swapable

The leaf spring rubber stop is common to the 126 and 850

The oil slinger seal is common to the 850, 500 and 126

The brake fluid reservoir is common to some 850, 500 and 124

The rubber boots and alloy sliding piece at the wheel end of the rear axles are common to the 500F/R, 126 and 850

The outer (short) tie rod ends are common to the 850, 500/R, 126/126P (up to 5/87)

The steering idler arm assembly is common to the 500, 126 and 850 - the RHD ones are now scarce so this helps find one.

The 850 heater valves are the same as the Fiat 124

Front axle nuts are common to the 500, 126 and 850

Various bits of the doors, trim, bushings etc are also common.

This isn't exhaustive and like I said, it depends on the age and manufacturer, so double check before buying.

The German ebay sellers (ebay.de) seem to be much more thorough and often include data from manufacturers databases in their listings.

hey great stuff guys.....thanks, this will help a lot, especially localy where some stuff is avilible but maybe not for a specific car.....to be honest the rear wheel cylinders/shoes seem to be 500r or 126...but when listed for 850 they seem more expensive...

again thank you for the input...nice to have some support when im so far from blighty !!

hi all, another daft question....is it normal for the '66 coupe to have different length wheel bolts front and back? also they are a different pitch, the front ones are longer and are a finer pitch thread than the rears......or has my coupe had a hub transplant from a later/earlier car at some point? theres no obvious reasons for this that i can see, but I know the Italians like making things difficult !!....oh,it has drums at the rear and dics up front

Hi, if your 850 was original, it would have the same bolts front and rear,they being the coarse thread 12x1.5mm pitch x 30mm shank. Sounds like someone has changed the front rotors,to maybe Fiat 131 or 124, which I think had the fine pitch,possibly other models too.
The series 1 850 had drum brakes on the front, and changed to discs with the series 2, the series 2 has coarse threads, so would think the series 1 has as well. Hope this helps, Cheers Gerry in New Zealand

that sounds feasible, and would easily explain the difference, (the 131 was very popular here with a factory in jahore baharu bulding them from ckd kits...131 parts still turn up on the local mudah site..) so the rotors and hubs would have been swopped out then...Mmmnnnnn...(i thought the hubs might be the same as 126 or 500r)...so maybe the 131/124 hubs fit on the 850 spindles.....interesting !

thanks for the help....

Hi again, I may not have made myself very clear in the previous post, but your car is a series 1, therefore should have drum brakes frt & rear.
Cheers Gerry NZ

hi Gerry, i thought all the coupes had discs up front? if not that explains the bolt on modification, theres not many coupes here at all, some estimate less than 10 in the whole of malaysia, also, no one ive spoken to has ever seen a series 2 coupe here...i will take a close up picture of the disc/hub assembly, and hopefully the origins can be discovered.

cheers,dave

Just in case it is of interest, the 850 coupe I mentioned in New Zealand is in the Horopito Car Wreckers yard , north island. Totaly awsome place & I spotted 5 Fiat 500s in there to. Got pictures if interested.

ooh scrappy pics...yes please !!!

Hi Dave, I'm at the other end of NZ to that particular wrecker, but always good to know where aparts car can be found. Keen to see the pix, you can send them to me at midgegerry@xtra./co.nz or post them here on the forum. When were you over here?
cheers Gerry

According to a parts catalogue I have, the Fiat 850 ('65-'72) use the same rotors and pads on the front brakes as:
Fiat 131
(03.1975 - 12.1986)
1.3 Mirafiori, 1.3 Super Mirafiori,
1.6, 1.6 (S), 1.6 Super,
1.6 Super Mirafiori (A), 2.0 Racing,
2.5 Diesel, 1.3 Mirafiori (AF),
1.6 CL (AF1), 2.5 Super Diesel (AF)

Hope that helps. Double check before you buy.

good info paulb....for those stuck out in the old colonies !! thank you.

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos