FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Panda front tyres / suspension

Has anybody else running a New Panda (Eleganza) had to replace front tyres after 11000 to 13000 miles??
The ones one my wife's car scrub the insides out, and our local FIAT franchisee who sold us the car new tells us that there's nothing wrong with the tracking or camber, and that new style Pandas are ALT (all like that) and wear out front tyres.
Also, any thoughts on how to adjust the camber?
I had a good look at it prior to its final 'extended warrantee' service, but can't see any shims or adjusters on the lower wishbones. Couldn't see the top mountings.
If all else fails, it could be the traditional 126 rear tyre fix of buying cheap tyres and turning them on the rims after 6 to 9000 miles to share out the wear a bit..

Re: New Panda front tyres / suspension

Hi Graham
I must admit i was not impressed with the continentals we had on our 2005 panda 1.2 dynamic. they tended to not have a very strong tread area and the inside and outside edge wore quicker than expected, i changed them for Michelin's 175/75/13 at about 9000 miles and had the continentals fitted to a different car, we then ran the first set of michelins for annother 11000 miles, we then fitted them to annother set of wheels still with 4.5 mm of tread left.with the car is now on 27000 miles the second set of michelins are now on about 5mm and the rears on about 6.5mm haveing covered 7000 miles.
i calculate they should do about 16000 miles on the front and 23000 miles for the rears.
My personal view is that the 920kg panda is too heavy for the continantals 155/80/13 and so they flex the tread area too much, when you consider the 145 or 155 tyres were mainly for the 700 kg uno/cinquecento type cars.
please look into the max tyre load rateing (written on the tyre wall) as that might give a clue.
But i would certainly recomend the michelins but maybe the 165/75/13 or the 14 inch equivalent for the eleganza.
ps my only way of adjusting the camber on these cars is to loosen the hub to shock absorber bolts and adjust them there(take great care).
I hope this helps
Tim Milnes

Re: New Panda front tyres / suspension

When I purchased my wife's Dualogic Eleganza, it had done about 6,000 miles. After about 1,000 or so miles, I changed all four Continentals for Michelin 'Energy' tyres. The change in eveything about the car was astonishing - vast improvement in ride, handling and particularly tyre roar. After another 12,000 miles all tyres have plenty of tread, I doubt the fronts are much over half way through their life.

regards Richard

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos