FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum
General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fiat 124 Brakes

A little guidance is possible. I am restoring the brakes on a 1973 124 special T. Every thing renewed, master cylinder, brake lines flexible rubber and copper, rear compensator valve, calipers front and rear, disk pads. Now I have got new brake fluid into the system and no air bubbles after bleeding. Pads are stopping the car ok but the pedal travel is alarmingly long, not spongy just very long travel.
Can somebody advise on how to resolve this problem.
Regards Dave Slaney

Re: Fiat 124 Brakes

Hi Dave
We had the opposite problem on this forum with a 127 sport where the piston from the pedal to the master cylinder was too long causing the brakes to stay on, have you checked the length of that rod on your car, it is normally in the pedal box area,it may have too much free play before it actuates the master cylinder also have you got the brake light switch set too high, also in the pedal box area.
keep us posted
Tim Milnes

Try putting hand brake and then try ,if there's a differance adjust rear shoes better.
or re bleed it again starting at the furthest point.
jason

Jason
does the 124 special T have drums, i thought they had discs from the info above,
If your suggestion is correct though, Dave may have grease on the rear shoe self adjusters which must be removed.
lets see what happens
Tim

hi dave,
did you bleed the master cylinder first? then connect the pipes,then bleed from the back first,

Can I take it you have fitted the correct specified parts for the car?
Yes?
Then possibly:
1 the master cylinder may be faulty
2 you still have air in system
3 the piston rod behind the master cylinder needs adjusting
4 a mechanical problem with the brake pedal
5 a mechanical problem with pads/discs

First thing I would do is test the master by removing all metal brake pipes, pop a small ball bearing (4mm ?) into each hole and re-attach the brake pipes.
Now check to see how far the pedal moves

Tim, Bernie, spot on, it was the piston rod behind the master cylinder that needed to be adjusted. I did not see that when I installed the new master cylinder. Brakes are now brilliant, Many thanks for all the help. and yes rear brakes are disc.

Excellent news.

That'll be £28 + vat please

Bernie
Don't forget to allow for consumables!
Tim

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos