FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
fiat 131 (series 1) for sale

I don't know whether this car is already in our club , but to 131 fans, this may be of interest

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C85444/

Membership Number: 10962

Re: fiat 131 (series 1) for sale

also on ebay

Didn't sell at a little under £1,700. Not sure that it would have made that much if the seller hadn't already declared the reserve Still, looks like a nice example and well worth saving. I'd have it but unfortunately not having any work at the moment means I'll be reducing my fleet rather than increasing it

Membership Number: 4647

Bigger old Fiats still can't command any money.
Had identical car in 1986, paid £65 for it with a bent half-shaft, repaired it and me and two friends ran it for a further 4 years before it moved out of our Fiat circle but was still running and spotted in 2002 in London.
Happy memories but still worthless

Membership Number: 1046

Neil
Bigger old Fiats still can't command any money.
Had identical car in 1986, paid £65 for it with a bent half-shaft, repaired it and me and two friends ran it for a further 4 years before it moved out of our Fiat circle but was still running and spotted in 2002 in London.
Happy memories but still worthless

I think Fiats are an acquired taste, and for those that hold them dearly in our fond memories will no doubt be prepared to pay "reasonable" money for a particulary well prepared car. However, I think the other Italian marques of Alfa Romeo and Lancia will generally obtain higher values due to the distinction their names hold (call it classic - car snobbery if you like but there is no getting away from it, unfortunately) Many factors play a part in an older cars potential value. I've noticed , in the case of various English marques for example, that various "bread and butter" models, previously over - looked, are now gaining much interest, and higher premiums. Possibly due to the fact our own motor industry has been sold "up the river" and people have fond memories of what we once had. Yet these same models don't appear in classic car press every month etc; I think some Fiats , particulary, the saloon models, are likewise an acquired taste, appreciated by the few who release how good they really were in their day but not likely to gain much publicity from the general motoring media. (possibly because there are also so few left!!)

Wise words Mr C and I agree that I think the classic motoring press certainly don't do the classic Italian world (especially Fiat) any favours especially when, within the first paragraph, the word rust will have appeared more than once.

How strange and ironic then that when you turn the page to read an in depth Readers Resto article on one of Britains "finest", the bulk of the write up is devoted to the restorer's efforts at rust removal and repair! Blimey, Heritage have created a whole industry out of manufacturing replacement bodyshells for British cars which appear to suffer from a more acceptable form of corrosion to Italian cars

If I'd had the dosh, I'd pay the reserve for that 131. How many are left with a provenance and condition like that?!

I agree,but the large saloon ,coupe fiat fans, can afford to buy them rather than the price's going through the roof with collectors buying them,i read a old motorsport mag this week from 1972 with the road test on a 130 coupe,new price £5499 ,used for sale in the adds in the same mag,ford gt40 with interesting competion history £6000,jag xk150 1960 restored £1650,e type drophead 1968 £1195,mustang convertable 1969 £1275,it makes great reading even though i like 130's ,look at the cars you could buy at the time.prob why fiat only sold 400 in six years.

Membership Number: yes

You've hit on an interesting point there, Julian, Whether to spend on a brand new car or go down the classic / old car route and perhaps have "more car for the money". The 130 Coupe was a very expensive car at the time starting at £5,500 approx on its launch in uk (1972) and rising to over £8000 by 1976, such was the over-riding power of inflation at the time which affected the new car market as a whole. The cars for sale in Motorsport at the time (I used to buy them religiously as a teenager),although collectable, were no-where near reaching the stratosphere premiums of the 1980's (when the "classic car thing took off), and indeed ,today. A good E type or XK150 could command an easy £40K- £60K . Likewise on the "new or old" point, you could spend £15K on a modern eurobox, capable of 120mph and 45-50mpg, or buy a nice Rolls Silver Shadow, Jensen Interceptor , or maybe a Ferrari 308. Despite the financial pressures of fuel costs, I still maybe inclined to the "old" route. This is partly fed by my love of reading old road tests, like you mentioned.

the interesting cars then wernt that old,prob you could buy two 12 month old e types for the price of a 130(today £3000ish if nice)and the jags at least 10 times that for both,i own a 130 and if it had gone up as those did i wouldnt have been able to afford one

Membership Number: yes

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos