FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum
General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
car identity

hi everyone

wondering if any one can help me,

whats the law of changing the identity of a car ?

lets say you have the details of one car on paper and you want to put them on another car and make the car something its not can this be done or is it called ringing a car and if caught will it get crushed how true is it any thoughts

thanks

Membership Number: 11996

Re: car identity

hi gavin

thanks for your call helpped alot

ben

ben bemrose
hi everyone

wondering if any one can help me,

whats the law of changing the identity of a car ?

It's illegal

Membership Number: 11553

This is a veritable bag of worms and a web of deceit and slight of hand. In the classic car world it can be a nightmare for the unsuspecting and poorly informed buyer. Thats why the pundits and people on the inside, positively always advise taking someone along with you to ascertain the originality of an advertised make, model and year.

The humble run of the mill Mk.1 Cortina for instance (sorry Fiat forum readers) in two door form with a 1200cc or 1500cc engine, could probably fetch between £600 and £3000 depending on that all important condition. However, the Mk1 Lotus Cortina could expect to fetch £7000 to £34,000. So you see the sharks out there can make loads of dosh for the extra spanner twiddling, paint, and identification fraud.

According to my source at the licensing office, it is sometimes quite easy to ring a vehicle from say a scrapped original, to a rebuilt copy. Particularly if the colour and model type are similar and If one has the original registration document. The telltale would be the chassis number and engine number; but these of course can also be "altered".

So if you are worried that a potential classic vehicle purchase could be suspect, then always take along some one who knows the make and model. Your knowledgeble freind will have all the information about the car and model. He will be able to identify the subtle factory specifications, chassis type and other minor details which disclose whether or not you`re buying a pup. Beware, there are some wool-pullers out there who will gladly take your hard earned cash...don`t let your heart rule your head.

Membership Number: just on the brink

buyer beware.................

Membership Number: 10521 yes that is a membership number!

I wonder if these posts will be "removed"

Membership Number: 10521 yes that is a membership number!

hi rob

snap mate only one person removing them cos of one reason you know what im talking about another one was removed last nite, asking about the same thing mate. then had a very rude phone call of that person 2 all over someone asking me a question, and cos they never told the truth and made out they didnt know the answers, thats why they asked me makes sence really. and cos i told the truth mate like all fellow members would they didnt like it like they had something to hide

Membership Number: 11776

Rob Miller
I wonder if these posts will be "removed"

Would this be about a 127 that I queried and then the thread dissappeared?

Membership Number: 11553-124 sport registrar

hi bernie
yes mate i reakon didnt see your posting about it mate or come to mention it no one did as i was removed .

Membership Number: 11776

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos