FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mk1 Punto Clutch Judder?

Hi Folks,

I drove my old mk1 Punto 1.2 Sporting today & it's still a great car, but.......... There is deffo a clutch problem when driving away from a standstill - it judders like a maniac when trying to drive smoothly, and is only slightly better letting the clutch out quickly.

The clutch was replaced a couple of years ago, and I've been saying there's a problem ever since. Mum has had the car for the last 6 years and doesn't seem to find it an issue, and the clutch place have said it's fine (well they would!).

I seem to remember someone mentioning a release bearing? Is this likely to be the problem & is it easily cured? Was the replacement clutch fitting the cause of this problem?

Once on the move it seems fine - maybe a bit notchy going into 3rd but as I say it's not been my car for 6 years.......

Any thoughts - Jim??

Many thanks in advance, Gavin.

Membership Number: 5260

Re: Mk1 Punto Clutch Judder?

Most common cause generally speaking is an oil leak onto the clutch plate

It could also be a sign of a worn engine/gearbox mount

I'm not sure if there are any other more Punto specific causes though

Hope you don't mind me cutting in here, Gavin.

Q1. Has the problem only occurred since the new clutch gone in? If so you may wish to tap the guy on the shoulder, again.

Personally, don't think its thrust bearing and possibily not oil on clutch plate,as more likely, the effects would be felt in other gears as well.

As it's only happening from 1st gear when moving off the mark, the forces are greater on certain other components than when the car is on the move due to interia taking up any wear differences. So it could be ;

1) Engine/ gearbox mounts (as John suggested) or even wear in bushes of bottom suspension arms. Easy checks these which you can do yourself, Check also yourself, if the guy has tightened up arms correctly, in case he moved them in process.

2) Another "simple" possibility is clutch pedal adjustment. Very often new clutches are fitted whichout re-adjusting the pedal. There should be a certain amount of "free" travel before pedal engages (refer to manual)- again you can check this yourself.

3) Drive shaft wear. Don't know if this is a Punto gremlin but would thought to be rank outsider in terms of blame. Easily checked, here for knocking when car is on full lock either way.

If non of these external possibilities you will need to refer to the guy again with questions on alignment, oil or other debris contamination.
Hope these pointers are of help. Best of luck

Membership Number: 10962

Did you manage to sort out this problm, Gavin?

Membership Number: 10962

Thanks John &Marty.

Not yet got my hands on the car Marty, but sounds like good information. I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards, Gavin.

Membership Number: 5260

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos