FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
free road tax, rolling date,

if the conservatives get back in power next year, should we lobby them about starting rolling date for historic vehicles again?from 1985?

Membership Number: yes

Re: free road tax, rolling date,

We should be like the rest of Europe with a rolling 30 year exemption. We are currently the only state without one.....

Dave
We should be like the rest of Europe with a rolling 30 year exemption. We are currently the only state without one.....
nice one dave, this could come under the harmonise laws statue, where all countries in the E U harmonise thier laws!

Stiggy, get that Topolino on the road and your road tax problems are over.
Steve.

Membership Number: 6610

Well ,when it was introduced it was for classic cars over 25 years old ,1972 and before but it wasnt a rolling date,as we all found out ,shame thats what it should have been,i will lobby with you stiggy,

Well it used to roll Julian - something else to thank Mr Bliar for (yes I know how I just spelled that )!

Sad thing is that the Tories promised to reintroduce the rolling exemption if they won the last election. Even sader is that they seem to have lost that pledge now they are vaguely electable (or at least slightly less unelectable than the others.......... ).

I currently have 3 x 127s which would now be exempt if the exemption hadn't been arbitarily stopped at 1972 - that's £375 a year extra I'm paying, so count me in for the petition Stiggy!!

Membership Number: 5260

i agree gavin,lucky i have my 130's tax free but i fancy buying another one but it is as its later date,thats putting me off.whats worse my daily car i use is a bmw 750i 2000 model that i have had the last couple of years £200 road tax thats fine,looking to change to a later monaro or a 645 and the road tax is double ! crazy,not a chance i will pay £400 road tax.

Just shows how random it is Julian. My new Abarth is £150 a year road tax (not much more than the 127), and less than the £190 a year on the Coupe - is it only me losing the logic?

Gavin.

The FBHVC recently reported :
Every year the Federation raises the subject of reinstating a rolling date for historic vehicle taxation with the All Party Parliamentary Historic Vehicle Group (APPHVG). There is little chance of this happening under the current government, although throughout Europe concessions are granted for vehicles 25-30 years old. The current Opposition has hinted that any change would have to be fiscally neutral. Data the FBHVC has obtained shows that there are 473,652 vehicles taxed or SORNed that were first registered 1903-1980 (not including vehicles not on the DVLA records or pre-SORNed). Hypothetically, to bring in concessions for 30 year old vehicles (255,000 registered 1973-1980) would cost £42 million. Again hypothetically, to bridge this funding gap every historic vehicle would have to pay £58. This is the sort of negotiation we foresee happening after the general election.

(MINUTES OF THE TENTH ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF THE FEDERATION OF BRITISH HISTORIC VEHICLE CLUBS LTD HELD ON SATURDAY 17 OCTOBER 2008)

Membership Number: Yes

The politicians tell us we have to follow all these new European rules and laws, but when Europe does something that would benefit some of us suprise suprise they won't do it. No suprise most of this country no longer bothers to vote.....

I wanna be OUT of the EU so we`ll have none of that integration, and any way, ALL politicians don`t give a **** unless theres something in it for them. Tell you what, lets have a rolling resignation of MP`s every 6 weeks!

Membership Number: 10521 yes that is a membership number!

the stig
if the conservatives get back in power next year, should we lobby them about starting rolling date for historic vehicles again?from 1985?

A Tory government

Membership Number: 11553

a bmw 750i 2000 model that i have had the last couple of years £200 road tax.
You are lucky to have it so cheap. Here in Ireland I have to pay E582 per year for a 1.9, and anything larger than 2.8 is about E1400 per year. After 2008 the tax is based on emission levels.

Membership Number: F12075

the 750 is only £190 per year because its a 2000 year car newer cars are taxed based on emissions aswell but nowhere near the price you are being charged

Forgot to say that anything older than 30 years is only E48 per year to tax also only E50 to import. Still trying to get my 127 sport finished and on the road so I can have some cheap motoring and fun.

Membership Number: F12075

Taxing a car based on emmission levels is totally unfair. Sure enough, modern cars are far more economical. My company car, Citroen C3, has averaged over 50mpg throughout the last tank of diesel.. Its just £35 to tax per year. However, it does around 40,000 miles per year. Which begs the question; Which is more harmful to the environment, a car doing 50mpg for 30-40 thou. per year, stuck in stationary traffic a lot of the time adding to congestion of our roads......; or

a classic, that does 25-30mpg for up to 5000 miles per year used sparingly, perhaps weekends only, when there's less traffic around.

In other words abolish car tax and stick it on fuel.

Membership Number: 10962

Certainly sounds fairer to me Marty. The Palio averages about 38mpg (42 on a fast motorway run), does less than 3000 miles a year and has a road tax bill of 3.57 times your Citroen - can't believe it does that much more damage, particularly as it is capable of passing the emissions test for an early cat equipped car!

Never worked out what the objection is to sticking it on fuel instead, except then everyone would notice how much tax they were paying. Oops just answered my own question I think!!! Cynical, moi?

Gavin.

Problem with adding yet more tax to fuel is:

1) Tax exempt classics would no longer be tax exempt.
2) As always we would end up paying more because the figures would be fiddled.
3) It would hit bigger engined cars harder than small ones.

well the tree huggers will disagree but as long as petrol is avalible i will enjoy driving older cars with large engines,sorry

Steve Denning
Stiggy, get that Topolino on the road and your road tax problems are over.
Steve.
ahh! yes! another for the must do list

stiggy keep looking in the "car" section,130 feature ?,

theo will put it on soon, along with a 127 piece by rob miller

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos