FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum
General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
125 moves on.

Well folks, time has come to get rid of my Fiat 125. Since getting this job in Bristol I've been unable to use the car for work like I used to when it was nice weather. Now it's 90 miles a day not 10 and at 20mpg my wallet would die! It's all come to a head when the gearbox started whining like a banshee and I realised that although I could change it, I really don't have the time. I don't get home until 7 in the evening and after a 12 hour day I never fancy getting into the garage. The weekends are taken up with stuff I should have done in the evenings.

Anyhoo. I've done the honourable thing and given it to Ben Sawyer. He's 17 years old in a few months time and has been into cars for about 16 of them so far!

Seems like a dumb thing to do but-

1. He can get classic car insurance for about £600 once he's passed his test, a Cinquecento Sporting would cost him about £1500!

2. He's got a gearbox for it in his garage so he can sort this out cheaply. He may get a bit oily and bash a few fingers but what the hell, that's how I learned about how cars work.

3. His dad Pete gave me the car six years ago so it's only fair that it goes back there.

4. It's not really worth much now and I didn't pay anything for it anyway.

5. Hopefully Ben will learn the "Ways of the Old Car" so I'm educating a new generation of classic car owners, he's been working for my mate the Mercedes restorer (where I used to work) this summer so he should be up to the job of getting it looking peachy again.

Now I have space in the garage the 75 will assume the "classic/fun car" role that the Fiat occupied and I'll be taking over Liz's 60SX Punto to get to work. We're going to get her a new car. We have some rules for this-

1. Petrol engine.
2. Economical/reliable.
3. 5 doors
4. Under £9000.
5. Supermini size but 5 seats.

So far we've rejected the Panda, slightly too small inside and way too small in the boot. The Fiesta, Yaris, Clio and Jazz are ridiculously overpriced for small cars which leaves the Skoda Fabia (a bit ugly and a three cylinder engine with only 70bhp an a car that weighs about three pounds less than my 75 Twinspark!)

Or a Grande Punto.

We're off to look at some Puntos tomorrow. Looks promising!

Here's the old Fiat taken in happier times (when I still used it!) If Ben can get his act together you may well see him in this sort of pose at the next Classic and Sportscar Action Day!

Membership Number: 7109

Re: 125 moves on.

I've sent you an email Jim

Membership Number: 11553-124 sport registrar

If the Grande Punto doesn't float your boat, try a new Kia Rio - within budget and comes with a 7 year manufacturer warranty as standard!
They drive well too

get off here banks! mentioning kia!

Membership Number: yes

Sorry, I forgot where I was for a minute!

Well, we took the plunge and Liz is now the proud owner of a Punto Evo Active 1.4, 5 door. We pick it up on Sunday. It's a 10-plate, 18 miles on the clock pre-registered by Fiat. £8900 which with the metallic paint is a saving of over £2000 on list price.

OK, whe's not the first owner but with 18 miles on the clock she is really and we've never been too precious about having the latest plate, that's a mugs game.

Drove it on Tuesday, it's really rather nice!

We're keeping the old Punto, I'll use it for work in the week and she'll use it for here allotment on weekends.

So, Ben's got the 125 and I've got a big space in the garage. Got next week off so I'll muck it out and get the Alfa in there.

The "old" Punto is doing 52 mpg on the run to work as against 38 for the Alfa so I'm already saving money.

The new Evo is really nice. That's getting 38 mpg despite Liz's commute through town, average speed so far 13 mph, and it's very quiet and comfy. The start/stop system takes a bit of getting used to but obviously works and the "city steering" button is utterly pointless/hilarious. I tried it with the car stationary and it felt like the wheel wasn't connected to the rack!

Stereo's belting and the car's nicely sure footed in a way that the old one isn't quite. And my dad (Skoda Fabia owner) couldn't believe how cool it looked.

A good effort on Fiat's part.

All we need now is for Ben to get the 125 up and running (and himself through a driving test!) in time for the next Action Day!

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos