FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Well, I've killed it.

Bwaaaaaaaaa!!!!

My "new" Punto has gone all wobbly on me!

After some impressive Mpg figures (average 55!) I've been whooping for joy about the savings I'm making against using the Alfa (36mpg). But any money I have saved has been eaten up in increased maintenance!

Two and a half bloody years of 500 miles a week have bounced off the Alfa like a moose off ice and it's only required basic maintenance. One month of Punto ownership and in the first week I've picked up a nail in a tyre (can't be repaired, too near the edge...) £28 for a new tyre.

Then the day before yesterday it went on to three cylinders just as I arrived in work. Checking the rad there was no water in it. Hmmm. I'd only checked it the day before, wonder where that's all gone?

Topped it up, took about two litres (!!!) and it immediately blew bubbles everywhere. Got myself Relayed home by The Very Nice Man.

This morning I removed the cylinder head to find a very shiny no. 1 piston and three normal looking black ones.

Another Failure In Automotive Technology.

Bugger.

Membership Number: 7109

Re: Well, I've killed it.

know the feeling jim,the electric fuel pump has started to howl,use the 130 on thursday night to go to Italian car night, before this the 130 had sat in the secret lock up for 6 weeks, then today i could here the howl,
oh dear!!

Membership Number: yes

OK, so it's back together again after a head skim and £60 worth of parts. I treated it to new head bolts (stupid not to, they were £7.52 the set...) a new temp sender, new plugs and a cambelt).

This is the second time the head's been skimmed now so gawd knows what the compression ratio is. Another one of these and I'm going to have to run the dratted thing on Avgas.

At least the heater works now!

Membership Number: 7109

.........or perhaps even nitrous, should speed the M4 run up a bit, as well as give a few surprises to the Beemers &Co; Or do they lower compression for nitous?

Either way ; happy (and fingers crossed reliable) commuting.

Membership Number: 10962

Thicker or double head gasket? That would bring the compression ratio back in line, too high a ratio could cause head gasket failure.

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos