FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I need to get key copies of my Punto

Where can I get keys cut for my Fiat Punto please?

Re: I need to get key copies of my Punto

Hi Bianca,

years ago new car dealers used to keep "patterns" of the
manufacturers keys, in order to get keys cut. If you supply model/ year/ plus chassis number details your local Fiat dealer , maybe helpful on this one. However, it maybe a totally new key.

Membership Number: 10962

Thanks for the info Martin, very useful advice.

However,my punto is an R reg, i.e. not much chance of finding original master.

The locksmith in my area said it would be £100 (£50 eaxh).
As I am a student only working weekends, it's a bit too much at the momenyt.

If I have to pay then there are no two ways about it, I'll have to fork out the money. I just hoped that somewhere in the Fiat world, someone could suggest somewhere less costly.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

I take it you have a Punto key with a code chip inside for the immobilisation.

R reg would be the Fiat 'Code1' system and the cheapest way to have them duplicated is if you still have the red key (fob is red)
Red key is the master and you can enable new keys with that by performing a programming sequence in the car (swapping keys in a set timescale).
This is also useful if you lose a driving key and want to disable it from your car as when you enter reprogram mode the Code box removes all previous stored key codes(except the red code).

High street key suppliers can do it as well but all they do is scan an existing key and make 100% duplicates of the code chip inside it, which is not the same as the original system design intention (but will still work of course).

I would imagine £50 for a key on a Code1 system is running on the steep side. Fiat changed to Code2 system around 1998/99 ? , which has a differant enabling method.

Your only other option would be to find a scrap Punto (same model/engine specs) with a full set of keys/barrels and change over the engine ECU box AND the Code1 box (they are married together at first coding in the factory).

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos