FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
e-petition, instate 25 yr rolling free road tax.

there is a petition to lobby the goverment to roll forward the free road tax to 25 years,i.e. 1986, 60,000 have signed this petition ,we need to make a difference, go to: http://epetitions.gov.uk, thanks if you sign up.

Membership Number: yes

Re: e-petition, instate 25 yr rolling free road tax.

Guys, this is the link
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/2622

Membership Number: 455

Reason
Make Road tax FREE for all classic vehicles over 25 years old

Responsible department: Her Majesty's Treasury

Currently this is only available for vehicles that were registered before 1973 - This petition would make it a rolling 25 year term - this would mean that now vehicles registered before 1986 would benefit from free road tax, therefore reducing the cost of keeping classic cars on the roads. Firstly this would not be a huge revenue loss for the DVLA as there are not that many roadworthy 25 year old plus vehicles on the road today. Secondly these vehicles are mostly second cars, mainly used at weekends and therefore they don't cover huge annual mileages, so why should they pay full tax when they may only be used a few days a year.

Membership Number: 455

thanks rob for putting on here the statement which went with the e-petition, puts more info to it,

Membership Number: yes

Done

Membership Number: 11553

Done likewise.

I think this will be a harder battle than expected because;

1) the Goverment want to keep the monies in the coffers during these times of high deficit.

2) the car taxation has been biased in recent changes for more eco-friendly vehicles, whereas they are themselves tax-free (such as the Twin air Fiat 500). Or paying as little as £35 per annum. Taking this into account,if they expect "X" amount of revenue from car taxation, they may wish to keep this bias towards "greener" cars. (even though a classic owner does limited miles per year. ) At the moment it's unfair a same model of car can be classed as a classic if reg; before Dec.72, but not if reg'd after that date.

3) they wish to be seen to promote new car sales in recessionary times. (although that didn't put off the previous Conservative Goverment as they did introduced it in the 1992 Budget, during the last recession!)

I can't remember if they made this part of their pre election manifesto , although one or two ministers were hoping it would be re-introduced.

Fingers crossed then

Membership Number: 10962

Hi All

How abut restarting the rolling date In 2013 to allow for 40 year old cars rather than 25, this may be easier to get the system restarted with minimal cost as the first year to get the benefit would be 1973 only, then roll on yearly from there.

Or simply put tax onto petrol rather than a disc and use the disc system as a check for MOT and insurance. the police NPR system can check for these.

those that drive most or thirsty or uneconomically pay more.

I will put my name on the petition to up the numbers

have a good Christmas everyone

Tim

Membership Number: 5222

I have heard another side to this argument where I have been advised not to sign the petition.

If the petition has over a certain number of signatures the Government would be forced to debate the issue in Parliament. Just imagine the result? They cannot justify any concession financially or to the green lobbyists. This could open a can of worms, better to keep our heads down and appreciate what we already have rather than highlight a possible new source of revenue.

I have often thought that a better system would be to abolish the free Tax, and replace with a nominal fee of, say, £20/ £40 for all cars over 25 years old. If there is no cost Government could perhaps accept.

Re Ken Sythes post:-

You have a good point there, especially with present bias to modern eco cars. If the modern car motorist pays zero tax , or just £35, they may look to other areas to bring up total income from car taxation.

In a way, I'm beginning to wonder whether the Goverment have "shot themselves in the foot" with this one. If many more manufacturers start to make more models with low enough emmissions to qualify for "tax-free" status, it could mean in a few years time there could be a fair percentage of cars on the road with tax exemption. So where/who will the Goverment turn to in order to bring up the "pool" of £ they require??

Membership Number: 10962

They're already getting the money back in VAT from all those numpties running out and buying a new ecodieselpig every year just so they can save another £25 a year on road tax.

In the case of the 500 Twinguzzle, it appears that the saving in road tax is vastly outweighed by the cost in fuel tax incurred by the disastrous fuel economy.

I wouldn't recommend making the tax disc free and adding MORE tax to the price of fuel. We already pay far too much in fuel duty to support our wonderful Government's colonial adventures abroad.

Yours,

The Grinch that Stole Christmas...

Membership Number: 7109

All of the above points are valid, Unfortunately our right honourable freinds in the trough couldn`t really give a toss either way.

Membership Number: ex

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos