FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Auto Italia magazine

Just had an email from "Phil Ward" re. change of ownership of mag, back to him, and new direct debit mandate.

Whilst I would never ever reply/consent to such a request, I was wondering if there is any truth in the story?

Or is it another email phishing expedition??

Membership Number: 11553

Re: Auto Italia magazine

intresting, i was pondering the same.......scammers at work!?

Membership Number: 9428

Hi All
Im on subscription and havnt recieved the email yet

Tim

ps this didnt happen when it changed a couple of years ago to chp

Membership Number: 5222

Tim Milnes
Hi All
Im on subscription and havnt recieved the email yet

Tim

So they probably don't have the subscription database then

Looking more like a phishing trip

I have been in contact with Phil Ward. The magazine has indeed gone back to his ownership (it started out that way). An email has been sent to subscribers who pay by Direct Debit to fill in a new mandate. Changes in banking arrangements require them to do this. More details will be in the next issue.

So this is not a scam/fishing exercise.

Membership Number: 4970

Their website still claims they are part of chp

Membership Number: 8946

I did say that "Details will be in the next Issue"

I have no idea what those details are or any other information other than what I posted.

Meanwhile I guess the wheels of change are in motion and all will become evident soon.

For those of you that don't know Phill Ward he a passionate writer/editor/etc. who cut his teeth on club magazines. Most notably he got the Fiat Twin Cam Register publications from simple A4 sheets to the Bialbero magazine. From there he branched out, wrote a book and started/created the Italian Cars, Classics and Bikes magazine which then became Auto Italia. By this point in time I guess he needed "big guns / publishing facilities / etc." so needed a larger more stable publisher to side with. Enter CHP.

Many years down the line, today, I'm guessing something has happened that either Phil and/or CHP have decided certain actions need to be taken.

Phil won the Euro Lottery and wants to buy back and take total control of his baby?

CHP not happy with sales quantities compared to their other mags? Declining circulation?

New publisher struck deal with Phil and CHP?

I guess we will just have to wait till/if any offical further details are revealed. Often the real truth is private and confidential and all that matters is that a dedicated quality magazine continues to thrive.

A slightly worrying thread this and one that actually could have been avoided with a simple phone call to either myself or my father.
Yes we have bought the magazine back from CHP and this has nothing to do with sales figures, circulation or any other negative reason.
Taking control of Auto Italia again has always been on the cards and we are delighted to have been able to achieve it.

The magazine will be published every month by the same printers and put out on the shelves by the same distributors as normal.
The reason for the direct debit mandate changes are simply because when CHP bought Auto Italia three years ago, they effectively bought Intermarque Publications LTD which were the actual publishers started by Phil Ward back in the early 90s.
Phil and Josie Ward's new company. Ginger Beer Promotions now owns Auto Italia magazine so new mandate need to be filled out. There is a dedicated page in the next issue to do this. Also once our new website is finished it will be business as usual.
The CHP run website is only still active as there is a cross over of sales and subs from Issue 194 to Issue 195. These things don't just start and stop on one day.
It's an exciting time for Auto Italia and we would like to thank all our readers, subscribers and all Italian car fans who have supported us over the years.
Any questions or thoughts please don't hesitate in contacting us.
Tel: 01462 678205

Good Luck, a great mag. Keep it up. Gerry in NZ

Hi All

Thanks for the update Michael, that clears it all up.

I have the most recent magazine on subscription which arrived on saturday, Issue 195 has the required form on page 96 for the required details for the mandate for us all to send back.

thanks All

Tim Milnes

Michael Ward, Auto Italia Magazine
A slightly worrying thread this and one that actually could have been avoided with a simple phone call to either myself or my father.
Yes we have bought the magazine back from CHP and this has nothing to do with sales figures, circulation or any other negative reason.
Taking control of Auto Italia again has always been on the cards and we are delighted to have been able to achieve it.

Hi Michael

Sorry for the delay in responding as I've been away for a few days.

"Worrying Thread". I'm not sure why and hopefully nothing I wrote. As soon as I saw it I contacted Phil to get a definitive position to clear the air regarding "scam", "fishing" etc.

This then left an open question as to why the change? Hence my additional info about Phil's passion for his publications etc. including the possible desire to "buy his baby back".

Beyond that any publication can changer hands for any reason (good or bad) and all details would be in the next issue.

Possibly the original posters' concerns/questions/legitimacy of the new mandate could have been avoided if full covering information accompanied the mandate request.

Anyway, well done to Phil and Josie and as always I wish you all well with the new adventure.

Nick

i agree with Nick, with a lot of suspect E Mails on the lose, you can never be to carefull,

Membership Number: 9428

bernie
Just had an email from "Phil Ward" re. change of ownership of mag, back to him, and new direct debit mandate.

Whilst I would never ever reply/consent to such a request, I was wondering if there is any truth in the story?

Or is it another email phishing expedition??

As I first reported, the email apparently from 'Phil Ward' of 'Ginger Beer Productions' asking for bank details looked ****ed suspicious . Not far off a Nigerian effort!!

As it turned out, I will renew my subscription but the moral must be ' be more professional/credible in future'

New Auto Italia website , back in the hands off the WARDS
lovly site .
http://www.auto-italia.net/index.asp

Membership Number: was

latest magazine is with subscribers today. lovely
Tim

Nick Bailey
(Phil) got the Fiat Twin Cam Register publications from simple A4 sheets to the Bialbero magazine.
Ahem, no Phil didn't - I to start with and a succession of Bialbero editors did that (Mark, Dave, Guy - I'd like to credit them all but memory's rusty). Bialbero started straight away as a proper magazine. I also did the parallel A4 photocopied TCNews for the first years.

Glad to have been Phil's early inspiration! Good that the mag's back in their hands - I might even subscribe!

Hi Tom

Thanks for correcting my misinformation. I should have checked my mags before opening my mouth. I can concur all the Bialbero mags were A4 as was the TCNews (all of which I still proudly have)

Apologies to you, Mark, Dave, Guy et al.

Membership Number: Yes

Wow Nick, you and me must be the only ones! First 3 issues were A5 actually, same as FMC mag at the time (but glossy!)

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos