FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grande Punto Sporting tyre problem

Hi,
I have a Grande Punto Sporting 1.9 diesel which is giving me problems with the tyres. When I bought it over a year ago all was well. Then a couple of months in I noticed that both front tyres had chunks missing from the outer wall so I had them all replaced. About a year on, this April the car went to a local Fiat agent for a service where they advised that the n/s/f tyre was dangerous due to the inside being blistered and showing the inner wires? Less than 2 months on a wheel wobble resulted in a trip to Kwik (slow) fit where a similar problem was diagnosed with the o/s/f tyre. The rest of the tread was like new!
The tyre size is 205/40/17. Does anyone know if this is a common problem and what is the best cure? I'm assuming that the combination of hard suspension and tyre aspect/ratio/whatever of 40 isn't helping but dont know if a switch to say 55 or even 16 inch tyres would help or whether the car has a suspension or other problem bearing in mind that it was looked at by a Fiat dealer who surely would have considered a greater problem due to the state of the tyre??
Thanks for your time, any ideas welcome.

Membership Number: 3928

Re: Grande Punto Sporting tyre problem

Hi, alas i have been having a lot of problems with "Branded Top range tyres" they just rot for want of a better word! due to being made with Eco matters in mind, the odd thing is Cheepo tyers (i now use) seem to last longer....., ( info via my local tyer center on problems with modern tyers...) one thing that might help is to use tyer dressing to keep the tyer wall in better shape,

Membership Number: 9289

Thanks,
I have been using a cheaper tyre- maybe in this case more expensive ones might have been better

We had a problem of both front tyres with bulges on after less than 12 months (Goodyear I think) and less than 6k miles. I returned them to the tyre fitter and paid for new tyres, they then returned tyres to supplier/manufacturer, after quite some time we got a full refund. It is possible the tyres could just be faulty. (Owers were fitted to a diesel Mondeo, initiall suspect of damage from speed humps)

Membership Number: 12303

Cheers Colin
Other peoples experiences are always helpful as I ponder what to do next!

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos